• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Computer geeks, lend me your ears....

YELLAHEEP

NAXJA Forum User
My HP PC is having issues and could use some direction/advice on how to attempt to fix it. I'll try to keep it as short/simple as possible.

O.S. is Windows Vista. (I know, I know, but surprisingly it's worked great for us for the last 2 years or so with NO issues until now.)

Current problem:
2 days ago, I used the computer 3 times during the day, each time simply waking it up from sleep mode with no problems. My wife went to wake it up that evening and she said it locked up with nothing on the screen. She powered it down, did a re-boot and now it won't "start up". She said a window popped up first time she powered it up that mentioned there was a system error regarding the graphics/video card, but she couldn't duplicate that window on subsequent power ups.

When you power it on now, there's all kinds of graphic issues on the monitor. First you see a black screen with the white letter dos-style prompts as normal, but that's overlayed with numerous large white cursor looking squares almost in a checkerboard pattern, but more random (if that makes sense). Once the dos prompt goes away, the screen gets a green linear pattern across the black screen and under that you can see the "Opening Windows" progress bar working as if the O.S. is firing up. Once the progress bar is full, the screen goes black and another random black and white pattern covers the screen and you can see the flat cursor at the upper left of the screen flash for a second or two...... and then it goes away and the computer locks up. The screen stays blank, no mouse cursor, and the orange flickering light that indicates that the harddrive is working goes dark.

Each time you power up the computer it goes to a "Start Up Repair" windows program that recommends it be run to try to fix the problem. It runs for anywhere from 10 minutes to 30 minutes and each time the end result is that Windows can't fix the problem. When you click "finish" it then tries to re-boot and does all the same things listed in the paragraph above until the screen goes black and the computer locks.

History:

We've added no new hardware or software in more than a year and have our virus software set to update each day. Last month, I got a window popup that was one of the usual "HP Updates" and told it to do the update. It was an update for the monitor and it added a few extra features to the monitor menu (rotation of the screen view, screen settings for games, movies, etc). Ever since doing that update, the screen saver hasn't worked correctly. After about 5 minutes of inactivity, the screen saver would come on and maybe 5 minutes after that, the monitor would go into power save mode and you'd hear an audible sound like "BE-dunk...... be-DUNK" (cap letters being higher pitch). When you moved the mouse, the computer would wake up from sleep mode, but the monitor would show that it wasn't receiving an output signal from the PC. We'd have to do a re-boot of the computer at that point and all would be back to normal. Just never got around to trying to remove that monitor update or looking to see if it was a setting of some sort.

So, with all that said, it certainly seems we have a problem where it's possible the video/graphics card/program is interfering with the O.S. booting up or something of the like.

Priorities:

1) We recently purchased an external hard drive that does an auto save just by plugging it in and clicking it to save...... unfortunately, never got around to doing that before this issue...... We NEED to save our harddrive and it's contents obviously, but not being able to get the O.S. to start up is keeping us from getting a back-up done with that external HD.

2) Hopefully finding a way to get the O.S. to start up allowing us to get that back up done and then maybe be able to deal with the graphics card issue....:dunno:

Thanks in advance for any help/advice you may be able to provide. :thumbup:

When you boot the computer can you go into the BIOS, before the OS boots.

When you boot the computer can you go into the BIOS, before the OS boots.

Yeah, I still get the blue intro screen that has the HP logo, and at the bottom are 3 options using Function keys - one of which I believe is a way into the BIOS.

Try calling HP support 800-474-6836

I REALLY wanna avoid that / use that as a last option........ I can't stand trying to deal with computer issues with someone speaking with an East Indian or Pakistani accent....... :mad:

souds like a bad driver on the monitor, if you cant boot in safe mode (f8 during boot) try f12 during startup to get into the BIOS

I'm not super computer savvy........ If I can get into the BIOS, where do I go from there?

sounds like a graphics card going out, if it's an agp/pci-express card, try removing it (replace with another card if possible, or run off onboard video if you have it)

sounds like a graphics card going out, if it's an agp/pci-express card, try removing it (replace with another card if possible, or run off onboard video if you have it)

So, if I were to simply open up the PC and remove the graphics card, you're thinking it'll boot up even with that piece of hardware removed?

"Onboard video if you have it"........... how would I find that out and with the graphics card removed, would it default to the onboard?

if your pc has only 1 output for the monitor (the one your using), it'll probably be up top, near where you plug in the mouse and keyboard, if you have a seperate video card, you'll have one up top, and one down below with the cards.

A LOT of cheaper retail pc's only come with onboard video, meaning there is no graphics card, its 'onboard' the motherboard, i cant help you here! if it was me, i'd swap the hard drive onto a working pc, boot into your o/s and take care of the data...

however, sometimes its an external video card, in which case on most pc's, you can remove the card, plug into the top video output (for the onboard) and it'll automatically boot with that (might be in low quality mode, but limp mode is better then nothing)

i typically build my own pc's, so my point of view may be skewered, as HP, dell, and the rest do weird things to pc's that i dont like (like ship pc's with only onboard video).

i was away from windows for a long time, and recently came back to vista, ive been back on it for like 2-3 months, i imagine safe mode is still around? safe mode will boot into really low quality video mode, which might sneak by your failing graphics card, you might try that too.

if your pc has only 1 output for the monitor (the one your using), it'll probably be up top, near where you plug in the mouse and keyboard, if you have a seperate video card, you'll have one up top, and one down below with the cards.

A LOT of cheaper retail pc's only come with onboard video, meaning there is no graphics card, its 'onboard' the motherboard, i cant help you here! if it was me, i'd swap the hard drive onto a working pc, boot into your o/s and take care of the data...

however, sometimes its an external video card, in which case on most pc's, you can remove the card, plug into the top video output (for the onboard) and it'll automatically boot with that (might be in low quality mode, but limp mode is better then nothing)

Ok, yeah, we definitely have an add-on video graphics card - we're using dual monitors and also have our satelite TV working through that card so that one monitor can be for TV when we want it.

So, if I understand correctly, I should look to see if there's a single, unused video output separate from the video card. If I have that, then remove the video card and then plug the monitor into that single video output and try booting it up that way right?

241338_Full.jpg

for example, this one has a graphics card (the top one, 1 above the gold colored one)
in addition to the onboard video port (right next to his hand, above the usb ports)

i imagine safe mode is still around? safe mode will boot into really low quality video mode, which might sneak by your failing graphics card, you might try that too.

I'm wondering that even if I got into a safe-mode, would I still be able to plug in the external harddrive and have it work to transfer data, or does safe-mode prevent access/operation through the external data ports?

on the pic above, your plugged into the card, i would try turning the pc off, and GENTLY(goes without sayin, but this is a jeep forum. ive broken resistors loose, bricking cards) removing the graphics card, plugging the main monitor into the onboard video, and rebooting.

to be honest, i dunno. back in the day safe mode disabled a lot of stuff, but the last time i used it was under windows 2000!

you will PROBABLY be able to access a external drive, but thats an assumption

241338_Full.jpg

for example, this one has a graphics card (the top one, 1 above the gold colored one)
in addition to the onboard video port (right next to his hand, above the usb ports)

Copy that. Yeah, I know that we likely have that single video port. We added the graphics/video card after the fact. We wanted to clear up some desk/den space by tossing the TV and adding a monitor for my wife's spreadsheet work. THAT was a huge pain in the keester to get set up between which monitor does what, getting the tv signal recognized and formatted to fit the monitor screen....... ugh.

just so you know, theres a chance that your pc will notice the graphics card is missing, and throw a hissey fit... (my dads hp does that)... most newer pc's SHOULD auto reconfig, but theres a chance it wont boot at all without the card, if thats the case, replace it, go into the bios, and change it from agp/pci express graphics, to onboard.

computers suck sometimes!

i could never fix computers or jeeps for a living, when stuff goes wrong, it goes REALLY WRONG. it can stress me out quite a bit!

just so you know, theres a chance that your pc will notice the graphics card is missing, and throw a hissey fit... (my dads hp does that)... most newer pc's SHOULD auto reconfig, but theres a chance it wont boot at all without the card, if thats the case, replace it, go into the bios, and change it from agp/pci express graphics, to onboard.

Yeah, I was thinking that "hissey fit" thing would be more than likely.......

It's the whole "go into the bios and change......." thing that I'm not comfortable with. I know I've had to do repairs by accessing the bios in our previous PC's in the past..... but it's been a nice, trouble-free 2+ years with this HP/Vista set up and I've forgotten alot of that stuff.

dont be afraid of the bios, just dont change anything you dont understand!
there should be a setting about primary graphics adapter (onboard or agp/pci-express)

Back