NAXJA Forums -::- North American XJ Association  

Go Back   NAXJA Forums -::- North American XJ Association > NAXJA Unibody Jeep Technical Forums > Jeep Cherokee XJ (1984 - 2001) > Modified Tech Discussion
HOME Member FAQ Sponsor Info Rules Bylaws E-Mail

Modified Tech Discussion Forum for Tech related discussion for Modified XJ's and MJ's.

Old March 31st, 2010, 07:44
NAXJA Forum User

Death Wobble with just minor lift?

I have a 99 XJ and last fall I put on the Rough Country 1.5" lift (I think the shocks are crap in this kit, btw). All the kit consists of is a Poly spring spacer for the front and shackles in the rear. I am still running the 235/70/15 street tires. Aside from the rough ride over bumps (feels like every crack in the road is felt in the unibody), there as been on issues with the truck.

Last night, while in a hurry (est 75-80mph) I was going around a bend and went over a bump in the road. The entire front end started the wobble. Slow down, and everything stopped.

Could this be associated with the 1.5" of lift? I know a new stabilizer could be added, but this would be a band-aid.
Old March 31st, 2010, 09:11
NAXJA Forum User

Re: Death Wobble with just minor lift?

I would replace the track bar. Chrysler's stock track bar are crap on all there trucks that use them. Also I would check out the front end, tie rod ends upper and lower drag links, and posiable your streeing shock to. And double check all your bolts you had to undo to install your kit!
Old March 31st, 2010, 09:44
NAXJA Forum User

If you didn't relocate the trackbar mount on the axle end then your axle has shifted towards the passenger side. That will cause all kinds of driveability problems.
Old March 31st, 2010, 09:48
NAXJA Forum User

I did nothing with the track bar. The lift didn't say anything about that. Infact, I went with the 1.5" because I felt I wouldn't have any issues like this to deal with. This is my wife's daily driver, and I pushed the issue just getting 1.5's on it.
Old March 31st, 2010, 10:28
NAXJA Forum User

Check your control arm bushings. Mine was caused before by an upper control arm bushing on the drivers side that was shot. If you notice any popping or banging over bumps coming from underneath your feet over bumps that's what went out.
Old March 31st, 2010, 10:29
NAXJA Forum User

In the picture below which is the component that we commonly refer to as the track bar and which is the control arm?

Track Bar = Tir Rod?
Control Arm = Drag Link?

Old March 31st, 2010, 10:33
NAXJA Forum User

QuillsXJ, there has ALWAYS been banging under my feet with every crack/bump/change in pavement. So maybe this is all due to shot contol arm bushings.

I would love to quiet the ride down and soften the harshness of the ride. But I just can't have the death wobble happen to my wife. In fact, I haven't told her about it, because she would be afraid to drive it. And seeing that she doesn't go over 65mph, I doubt she will experience it at 80mph like I did.
Old March 31st, 2010, 11:06
NAXJA Forum User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mudshack View Post
In the picture below which is the component that we commonly refer to as the track bar and which is the control arm?

Track Bar = Tir Rod?
Control Arm = Drag Link?

Neither are shown in that pic.
Old March 31st, 2010, 11:16
NAXJA Forum User

Duh.....I know what control arms are!!! Where is my pumkin today!

Last edited by Mudshack; March 31st, 2010 at 11:23.
Old March 31st, 2010, 11:23
NAXJA Forum User

Hope this picture helps...it's from a TJ but same front axle setup as an XJ.

Old March 31st, 2010, 11:29
NAXJA Forum User

ahhhhhh! I got it. Thanks. Guess I need to extend the track bar a little. That should square up my steering wheel too.

Last edited by Mudshack; March 31st, 2010 at 11:34.
Old March 31st, 2010, 11:33
Headbanging Hillbilly

While the vehicle is running and in park, have someone turn the steering from lock to lock while you look at all the front end componets for movement. You should be able to spot most movement like this. If you cannot see anything go over all the attachment hardware and make sure they are tight. My guess is your Tracbar is worn or loose!
People crushed by law, have no hopes but from power. If laws are their enemies, they will be enemies to laws; and those who have much to hope and nothing to lose, will always be dangerous. Edmund Burke
Old March 31st, 2010, 11:40
NAXJA Forum User

I will replace the control arm bushings, extend the track bar slightly and make sure everything is snug.
Old March 31st, 2010, 13:31
NAXJA Forum User

I had DW on a stock XJ, did research on the net, found this forum, and replaced the steering damper. That was 4 years ago and that rig has not had another issue with DW. That rig, and two others (all lifted differently), now sit in front of my house DW free.
Old March 31st, 2010, 13:35
NAXJA Forum User

No doubt the dampener will help. But I am looking for an excuse to replace the control arm bushings due to the rough ride. Poly lift spacer and new shocks didn't cure the harsh ride.