• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Red cone pass, is the xj safe for that decent?

4x4JeePmaNthINg

NAXJA Forum User
I've run black bear and similar, even Webster right below red cone. Does the stock xj brakes serve well enough for how steep the last part Is?

99 auto np242, 4.56, 33s

Don't need brakes, keep it in 1st gear.

i know it may sound like a dumb? but im not looking to soap box down 12000ft lol. just trying to be smart and gather other natives better wisdom before i find myself on the one way peak descent. lots of youtube vids, but ol cherokee isnt running fancy 4:1 and hill descent jk riff raff.

1/2nd + 4 low will have to do

Last edited:
As long as your brakes are in good working order there is no reason to worry. Just lock the auto down in 1-2 with the t-case in low and you probably won't even touch them.

Redcone got a really bad rep back in the day. It was a real bitch. It was covered with scree that was many feet deep. You had to straddle the knife edge and you virtually slid to the bottom. At least one Jeep went over and killed the driver.

About 10 or so years ago, they bladed the thing down in order to take big geophysical trucks up for testing. It is nothing to worry about now as long as you keep it in 4low and go slow. In the past the trail was downhill only because it was so tough and is still one way, but I would have no problem going up it.

This is one of my favorite trails, but I miss the challenge.

Take some salted sunflower seeds to feed the sheep.

Redcone got a really bad rep back in the day. It was a real bitch. It was covered with scree that was many feet deep. You had to straddle the knife edge and you virtually slid to the bottom. At least one Jeep went over and killed the driver.

About 10 or so years ago, they bladed the thing down in order to take big geophysical trucks up for testing. It is nothing to worry about now as long as you keep it in 4low and go slow. In the past the trail was downhill only because it was so tough and is still one way, but I would have no problem going up it.

This is one of my favorite trails, but I miss the challenge.

Take some salted sunflower seeds to feed the sheep.

Goats... otherwise, totally agree, Tom. I was up there in the mid-90's with a buddy in a Suburban on 42's. About the most scared I have ever been wheeling. Its tame now, in comparison.

Just lock the auto down in 1-2 with the t-case in low and you probably won't even touch them.
This! As long as you let the vehicle in front of you get down first, you should have no reason to touch the brakes.

My first time down, I thought the back end was starting to go a little sideways. I tapped the gas to straighten it out.

This! As long as you let the vehicle in front of you get down first, you should have no reason to touch the brakes.

My first time down, I thought the back end was starting to go a little sideways. I tapped the gas to straighten it out.

This. On a hill like that throttle is your friend, not the brakes. It's really not that bad, it just feels worse than it is. I'd almost bet there's plenty hills similar to it on other trails, it's just more open.

awesome, probably tackling this monday. i love high alpine trails like this, its unreal to be lucky enough to drive these trails. the beginning seems like there are some minor obstacles to have fun with, but other wise its just a very cool trail to have fun with.

thanks to all for the feedback, the help is very much appreciated and i cant wait to get up there! I ran Webster pass on a whim BDay run last yearnwithout knowing much, would have gone Redcone if ide known it was there last time.

Last edited:
Back