• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

The Sour Grapes build thread

Pics of said installs PLUS I just picked up an Engel fridge to keep things nice and cool since I do more camping trips than day runs...of course a cold one at lunch will be handy ;)
CB Radio placement:
attachment.php

Hella 500 HID lights:
attachment.php

photo(3).jpg photo(4).jpg

And lastly, I couldn't resist the smokin' deal on an Engel fridge/freezer. So I got this MR040 which is a great little unit...it'll even freeze water! I do more camping trips than day runs so now I don't need a cooler anymore and won't have to deal with soggy messes of leftover food!
attachment.php

and of course, in the desert (like the Mojave Road or Johnson Valley), what good is relaxing for lunch and enjoying a cold one when you're being beaten by the sun? Enter the Kirkham's auto canopy:
attachment.php

I'm now debating on doing a dual battery setup just so that I don't strand myself with the fridge running overnight. It's currently being tested in the vehicle to see just how long my battery can last running the fridge.

photo(6).jpg photo.jpg

haha - so I decided to test my battery and how long it could support the fridge - went about 20 hours and I was able to start the Jeep, but I only drove it to the market and couldn't get it started again (dead battery).

So basically I'm now going to look into a dual battery system to run my lights, cb, inverter, fridge...and hopefully one day a winch (but time will tell). This will also provide a backup battery for starting in case I ever get a short or leave a dome light on etc.

Picked up a whole set of replacement battery cables which are thicker gauge allowing for upgraded alternator in the future. He also hooked me up with the cables needed to do my dual battery setup for running my lights, CB and fridge - and in the future whatever else I bring camping...yea - I bring a lot of gear. Pretty sweet - everything came pre-terminated and labeled for which end goes where and which cable goes where...no guesswork, simple which is what I like/want.
Write up to come probably in April...

Last edited by a moderator:
OK - So I got the National Luna dual battery kit since I'm using my dual battery for a slightly different reason than other folks...I'm not running a winch - yet. But I do have a fridge, lights, cb and probably more to come.

Anyways here are some photos of my install. I went through the hole under the rear driver's quarter panel. There was a grommet there.

attachment.php

DON'T DO THAT!!! Most would say...YOU'RE GOING TO SHORT THE WIRES!!! Well, I thought of that, which is why I used the original grommet and ran the wires through it.
attachment.php

photo(5).jpg photo(7).jpg

Then I routed underneath the car following the fuel/brake lines because I didn't want to be near the exhaust system on the passenger side. I followed the brake line all the way to the engine compartment securing with zip ties along the way. No moving parts will touch the wires.
attachment.php

Then I routed from the brake booster thingy area, with the wire harness around to the battery. Secured to the battery posts, everything works great.
attachment.php

sorry for the crappy pic on this one!

photo(8).jpg photo(9).jpg

Of course, I had to make sure it was working by chilling some beer.

attachment.php

So - which system is this? This is the National Luna Portable Power Pack dual battery system. It does everything automatically like when to connect itself to the charging system, when to disconnect, etc. It has lights showing me what the state of my Optima Yellowtop is and how much my vehicle is charging the battery. Pretty nice setup!

I also figured out where my rattling is coming from...3 of 4 tabs holding the rear panel thingy on the outside of the lift gate are broken - causing it to vibrate against the vehicle. I need to get this part either from someone or the dealer...I wonder if it's $$$

attachment.php

photo(10).jpg photo(11).jpg

how much did the HID conversion run you? thanks.

Nate

sure thing man, thanks. do you know if they offer a NAXJA discount? haha (im a cheap, poor, college student).

thanks,
Nate.

Back