• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

5.3L Vortec V8 Conversion

I was stressin' a bit.

With a little luck I'll be ready for some wheelin' in the next week or so. Yes there will be pics, videos and possibly some manly V8 bragging to boot!

Stay tuned.

My first real test was a couple weeks ago. I was worried everytime I heard a crunch or pop. I kept getting out to check, but it had plenty of clearance. My flares on the otherhand, not enough clearance...

My first real test was a couple weeks ago. I was worried everytime I heard a crunch or pop. I kept getting out to check, but it had plenty of clearance. My flares on the otherhand, not enough clearance...

hehe break out the sawzall baby!:guitar:

Worked on the gauges today, a few more solder joints and I can button up the dash.

Started with a piece of 1/8" Aluminum.
001-7.jpg

Prettied it up a little.
002-7.jpg

Viola'!!
005-3.jpg

I think he means "how did you make all the pretty little circles on the aluminum"?... I'm guessing wire hat brush. Looks great man - are the gages operational, are you ready to go wheel and break something?

The tach still needs to get a 680ohm resistor wired in from a 12vdc fused power source and I'm hoping to get the new float assembly installed tomorrow, have to drop the tank and bore a hole in it in order to do that.

Decided to lose the hard fuel lines in favor of Braided stainless line with a Teflon liner. I picked those un today from Whistler bearing. Pics when finished.

No wheeling for me till I get a rear bumper finished....well maybe a test run up Eagle Rock......might even be this weekend but I'm not gonna make any promises.

The aluminum was prepped using a 2" Scotch-Brite Disc in my drill press and sprayed with some clear enamel.

In order to use the aftermarket fuel gauge a corresponding float and sender must be used as well. VDO includes a float/sender in their kits, at least they did in the one that I bought. The sender must have a rating of 10 ohms empty and 180 when full.

So here's how it's done:.

Step #1
Get your junk in the general vacinity of the gas tank.
001-8.jpg

Step #2
Obtain the appropriately sized "I Can't believe it's not Butter! container, 1.75" holesaw, and a drill.
003-7.jpg

Step #3
After confirming that there is no butter present in said recptacle, insert thusly into the gastank.
006-2.jpg

Step #4
Whilest holding the aforementioned container, proceed with using the holesaw to cutout the Rollover Valve.
007-1.jpg

Step #5
Upon completion of the boring operation, remove the container from the gastank. DO NOT LEAVE IT IN THE TANK!!!! You may need it for another project.
013.jpg

Step#6
Verify that you had the container positioned properly by confirming the presence of debris from the boring operation. DO NOT DUMP BACK INTO THE GAS TANK!! That would be silly.
015.jpg

Step #7
Disregard the piece of circular steel you fabricated prior to getting started on the tank in favor of a piece of aluminum from a different project. It looks better and won't rust from all the water in the cheap gas you buy.
017.jpg

Step #8
Using the gasket as a template, pilot drill the correct bolt pattern and bore out the center of the disc as well.
020.jpg

Step #9
Double check that you did a good job locating holes. If done correctly you may pat yourself on the back.
019.jpg

Step #10
Insert the float assembly into the tank with a liberal coating of Right Stuff Gasket maker to the float assy flange, the aluminum disc, and both sides of the gasket. Install the gasket through the pump assembly hole followed by the aluminum clamping flange (formerly known as the aluminum disc).
***NOTE***
You must fumble around for a minumum of 15 minutes before getting all 5 self-tapping screws started in the appropriate hole. If your hands, wrists and forearms are not stained with Gasket Maker....your doing it wrong.
021.jpg

Step #11
Make sure the float is in the correct location and moves freely.
022.jpg

Step # 12
Order another fuel pump assembly since you broke a nipple off the damn thing when you lowered the tank.

Last edited:
Back