• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

5.3L Vortec V8 Conversion

yow!

:scared:

And even worse, it's aluminum! Fine with me except on wheeling rigs, copper is great for that because you can solder it back together on the side of the trail if you take a tree branch in the radiator or your motor mounts fail and it gets chewed up.

$200 for a custom alum radiator and $300 for a custom 3 fan/controller setup doesn't seem that extreme, but I'm not writing the check. I like the FF setup, maybe its just the shiney silver/red combo that bedazzles me....... :)

I've been following this thread quietly but I have to say , nice build Frank .
I love those gauges and the time you've put into this is outstanding ..

I should come check this thing out in person ..:wave1:

Converted the rig to run on E85.
Before:
002-8.jpg

After:
003-9.jpg

I haven't seen a single place that sells that trash.

Regarding your overheating problem:

If I’m not mistaken, you’re running 2 XJ 97+ electric fans …. Right? If so, have you thought about just replacing one of them with a higher CFM fan like a Ford Taurus (91-95) dual speed fan or a Perma-cool 16 or 14 inch (2950 CFM) fan? You can use the stock mechanical fan shroud to mount it and keep the stock electric fan in its original place.

I have a feeling that setup maybe sufficient, even with your stock radiator or at worst a new 2-row standard radiator!

I say this because the 2 XJ 97+ electric fans are not sufficient to cool a stock 4.0 engine in hot climates and that's maybe the problem.

It’s just a thought …

Well, we bought the Novak (Griffin) Radiator for the LS2 and we are running 2 factory 97+ XJ fans. Now... we still don't have the gauges in (they will be here in a few hours), so I can't say for sure what the temps have been running at. But, it always seems fine, even in our 100* heat that we have been having. You can open the hood and it doesn't feel hot at all, just normal warm. We are going to be running this setup this weekend at the crawl, so i will be sure to let you know how it goes. The gauges are going in today, so I should have actual numbers for you.

I'd buy the materials and learn to make radiators myself before I paid that kind of premium :scared:

Back