• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Swing down tire carrier

jdbwrx

NAXJA Forum User
I decided to redo my spare tire carrier on my rear bumper. The bearings on the spindle/pivot failed on my swing away carrier (fortunately in the garage not on the road). Also, since the old tire carrier was more towards the passenger side, the right rear always sagged a bit that way. I decided to try something different and go for a swing down and center it. I made it for my 33 spare, but designed it to carry at least a 35.

Here is the old carrier.
P1010508.jpg

I had some tubing left over from my cage, and I resued some of the square tubing from the old tire carrier.

I started with a concept drawing to get my head around it and figure out some angles and rough lengths of things.

rearbumper.jpg

P1040927.jpg

P1040928.jpg

For the upper arms that attach to the rear part of the cage, I decided a need a "holder piece" since I am doing this by myself. I welded a small 1" long piece of 1.5" diameter tube to the center section by the tire mount. This way I can set the 1.75" tube on that to figure out the lengths and angles. (Seemed easier than trying to eyeball, hold pieces and tack them at the same time).

P1040933.jpg

Finished the rear tire carrier up yesterday. I didn't put the metal sleeves in the upper bushings to make it easier to get the pin in and out. I don't think it will rattle too bad. I also need to add the helper springs yet. I was thinking about getting a garage door spring and cutting it in half. It's not terrible to lift up, but I wouldn't mind some tension on it.

P1040940.jpg

P1040939.jpg

P1040937.jpg

P1040936.jpg

P1040935.jpg

I used to party in those apts :guitar: they are near the beaver creek line right

looks awesome btw

doug

Looks good man.
I think that it could look better if you could get the d-pillar bars to contour better to the back frame.
Make sure you put your license plat back on

Looks sweet, but won't you get quite a work-out loading the groceries? Also, you must not be married, huh? My wife probably wouldn't be able to lift the 33" spare!

But, I love the look and the fact that it's centered.

That'd be cool to attach an actuator on both sides. Pop those pins out and push a button to lower or raise the spare tire. I would've said design it with similar struts to the ones that hold the rear hatch, but it might be even more of a pain to lift the spare back up while pushing against the struts. Actually maybe not come to think of it.

To respond to the comments:
94xjstud- That is the only part of the cage I don't like. I agree the D pillars could tuck in tighter. I may change that down the road, but the effort to do so isn't worth it right now. I did get my plate back on. No light on it though. Oh well.
Flyfisher - That's why I need to get the helper spings on. My wife is iny, so she won't be lifting it anytime soon. She usually leaves all Jeep related things up to me!
jpslickrocks - I do need to get a pic of it opened. Getting in and out of the back isn't oo bad.

Putting the spare on is waaay easier than lifting it up like before.

sweet man i have been waiting for some body to try this for the xj it looks killer. and does it lay flat on the ground when you fold it back or at an angle

What's your plan for attaching the helper springs?

what spindle did you have? or did you fab something out of a trailer spindle... that is the setup i have, and i keep hearing more and more of these failures, and its making me kind of nervous. i have been looking into doing something like the Protofab one with heims.

That said, yours looks dang sexy with that cage

looks good

as for the garage door springs, thoes extention style springs come in many diffrent sizes so if you were buying new you could find one that is small enough and rated for what your doing, with out cuting it down

Back