• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Rear Torsion Bar and Lift

tgregg

NAXJA Member #1444
I am going to give my XJ a small lift of about 2 inches. It has a rear torsion bar that I suspect contributes to the nice ride. What have others done? Just taken it off? Put extenders on the rear also? Or?

I just removed the rear sway bar. UpCountry models didn't have a rear sway from the factory, and I can't say I noticed a difference, other than better flex on the rear axle (not that I'm getting a whole lot anyway). It still handles like a bag of potatoes, rear sway or not.

XJ's don't have torsion bars...

edit: wow I was real lazy and didn't even read the whole sentence. I just assumed you were thinking of a torsion bar suspension. Yea take out the sway bar

Last edited:
I just removed the rear sway bar. UpCountry models didn't have a rear sway from the factory, and I can't say I noticed a difference, other than better flex on the rear axle (not that I'm getting a whole lot anyway). It still handles like a bag of potatoes, rear sway or not.

X2.......Just take it off. NO difference in ride.

When I took off my rear sway, it made a minor difference in handling, but still the best handling vehicle I had ever owned. Take it off, you won't miss it. Do some quick disconnects for the front.

I was in the boat a little while ago, I tow frequently was hesitant to ditch the swap bar but my tires wouldn't clear it. I honestly can't tell any difference. Just toss it.

I was in the boat a little while ago, I tow frequently was hesitant to ditch the swap bar but my tires wouldn't clear it. I honestly can't tell any difference. Just toss it.

X2 I ditched mine when i put AAL's on the rear its unnecessary for towing since the stock tow package XJ's didn't have one

tgregg, I removed my rear sway bar. Havent missed it.

You experiance better flex removing it.

You don't really notice any change in ride. With leafs, its more or less unnecessary.

You experiance better flex removing it.

You don't really notice any change in ride. With leafs, its more or less unnecessary.

oh yeah i forgot to add the more articulation part! :D

Back