• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Shocks 33 inch tires

Ritter4.0

NAXJA Forum User
I am planning on putting 33"s on my 3" lifted XJ. I know I am going to need trimming and bumpstops.

I plan on having little but some uptravel and maximum downtravel.

My question is what size shocks should I use for this. It will be my DD with a little wheeling.

Just get shocks made for a 3" Lift. ProComp come to mine. Inexpensive and work well at 3"s of Lift. Shocks should coincide with the size of Lift. Example: I have a 5" Lift so I am running a 3"+2" ProComp Shock to match my 5" Lift.

At 3"s of Lift... I believe it will be Impossible to fit 33s even if you cut the H*ll out of your Fenders. I run at 5"s and have fully cut out my Fenders and have a few bumps running 32s at full flex. I have to admit though, I am upgrading to 33s soon. However, like I said, my fenders are fully cut out now and I have extended bumpstops so 33s on a 5" Lift would work.

Hope this helps.

Last edited:
I think you need to search about a low COG set up. I plan on very little up travel and maximum droop. So I was thinking about 5" lift shocks or something because they should be unable to bottom out with little up travel.

It is very possible because many people here have done it.

Whatever........... just tried to help. Not interested much in Low Riding Mall Crawlers.

Wish you the Best of Luck with what you are trying to do. Take care.

I guess I am now interested in a low riding mallcrawler LOL
I know what you are saying cher96, and you have the experience to back up what you said. All I have is what I have learned from the forums and others experiences/ ideas. I am not afraid to cut, but my dad is afraid to let me cut and do anything to my jeep even though I bought it. I am only 17 and slowly building it the way I want it

So it is best to use regular 3" shocks on a 3" inch lift no matter the tire size?

Yes. I am sorry.... I should not jump to conclusions that you were being sarcastic... just not in the know.

Shocks should match Lift.

As for Tire Fitment:

16bd72g.jpg

Last edited:
33"s on a 3" lift with no trimming will result in a on-road vehicle. most people run a 4.5" lift with 33"s if they don't do trimming.

Ritter, what would be your reasoning behind having a longer shock then what would come with the lift kit?

To acheive the most axle droop possible since even with trimming I will not want too much uptravel. I thought that the amount of bumpstopping I will need would keep a longer shock from bottoming out and forcing the opposite side to droop more.

Another reason I want this setup is so that I hopefully will not need an SYE or other driveline components anytime soon. Later on down the road I will likely lift it more but that will be when I don't have to pay for college and make more money.

My jeep will be a mostly on-the-road vehicle but I want it to have as much offroad capability as possible so I can do stuff when the opportunity arises. On that note should I just stick with 31"s and get lockers etc.

Thanks for that graph cher96.

Last edited:
I've seen a Jeep with around 3" of lift and 31s with a locker in the front do very well. I would suggest getting armor and tow points front and rear instead of the 33s.

Like BigMike said, some good 31" tires, full skids and recovery points and some sort of locker (front or rear) does quite well.

What kind of wheeling are you looking at doing.

Also 33"s most people will want re-gearing which is some $$ if you cant or won't do them your self.

The only real wheeling I have done is riding through some woods and a clear cut over stumps. I would like to go to Raush Creek in pennsylnania sometime though.

Regearing is in my plans. I just don't want to buy a new set of 31s if I plan on 33s. I wouldn't mind 32s but treadwright doesn't make them that I am aware of. Anybody know of any cheap 32s?

You may get away with 32s with Extended Bump Stops and I am sure, absolutely sure, you will have to do some trimming.

What Drive Train do you have? Manual or Auto?
Manuals usually came with 3.07 gearing.
Auto, 3.55 gearing.

32s should have at least have 3.73s at the minimum for gearing.

31s with 3.55 will save you fuel costs but may not give you much get up and go.

IMHO: Stay with 31s with a 3 to 3.5" Lift.

gear_ratio_chart.gif

I guess I am now interested in a low riding mallcrawler LOL
I know what you are saying cher96, and you have the experience to back up what you said. All I have is what I have learned from the forums and others experiences/ ideas. I am not afraid to cut, but my dad is afraid to let me cut and do anything to my jeep even though I bought it. I am only 17 and slowly building it the way I want it

So it is best to use regular 3" shocks on a 3" inch lift no matter the tire size?
Doesn't matter what tires you put on the rig, always measure droop and compression before you buy shocks. the bumstops will keep the shocks from bottoming out.

33's on 2.5" of lift here.
Fender triming front an rear, and rear wheelwell massage was required.
4.56's with the ax-15.
I'm running OME long travel shocks;
OME N35L front shocks 26.7" open 15.7" closed
OME N36L rear shocks 24.5" open 14.6" closed
With the bump stopping you will need to do, these shocks will work perfect.
I still have significantly more uptravel than my stock WJ.

Note that aftermarket control arms(spherical bushings) and trac-bar(double shear) will be needed to take advantage of the longer shocks ability to droop.

Good luck.

Doesn't matter what tires you put on the rig, always measure droop and compression before you buy shocks. the bumstops will keep the shocks from bottoming out.

A larger tire on a smaller lift is going to limit uptravel, thusly, you can run a longer closed length shock... which typically gives you a longer open length.
Tire size does factor into shock length on a full fendered rig.

33's on 2.5" of lift here.
Fender triming front an rear, and rear wheelwell massage was required.
4.56's with the ax-15.
I'm running OME long travel shocks;
OME N35L front shocks 26.7" open 15.7" closed
OME N36L rear shocks 24.5" open 14.6" closed
With the bump stopping you will need to do, these shocks will work perfect.
I still have significantly more uptravel than my stock WJ.

Note that aftermarket control arms(spherical bushings) and trac-bar(double shear) will be needed to take advantage of the longer shocks ability to droop.

Good luck.
X2 on the control arms and trac bar, but on shock length a longer shock is not the answer.when my 24.5 fronts are at full droop. the coil is unseated a 1/2".if you want to unseat it more a longer shock can be used. the answer on up travel is bump stopping it. regardless of how much you cut fenders.:dunno:. with a 2.5" spring your coils are unseated a whole bunch with that long of shock!

Back