• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

LP44 vx HP30

ChuckstrPT

NAXJA Member #791
So, what are the pro's/con's?
Which one is stronger?
I'm looking at an XJ with a LP44 up front....with leaves and a SPOOL???:scared:
Thanks for the input:viking:

30 vs. 27 spline axles in the 44 make it stronger. The LP riding on the coast side of the gear makes the R&P setup roughly equal... carrier in the 44 stronger... cheap build options for 44 way better... overall winner is the 44.

If the spool is in the front 44 walk away.

yeh...that is the first thing on the list to remove(which I hate, because it's already got 4.56's). It's also a little bigger than I want. But he's got a bunch of money in the axles/gears(4.56)/locker(rear full case Detroit). I'm also not sure of the front leaves, but I think that is less a priority than the FRONT spool...I've not seen that before. It does have manual hubs.

30 vs. 27 spline axles in the 44 make it stronger. ....overall winner is the 44.

So the 44 has 30 splines? or could it be either?
Excuse the ignorance. prior to my XJ getting crushed by a tree, I never considered a 44 due to expense, and the fact that I really didn't want to go larger than 33's and keeping it open. I've actually got a HP30 rebuilt with 4.56's in my backyard...just no truck:rof:

yeh...that is the first thing on the list to remove(which I hate, because it's already got 4.56's). It's also a little bigger than I want. But he's got a bunch of money in the axles/gears(4.56)/locker(rear full case Detroit). I'm also not sure of the front leaves, but I think that is less a priority than the FRONT spool...I've not seen that before. It does have manual hubs.

Well if you dont want the leaves in the front especially if it was a hack job, you will spend more time, money and effort to getting it back to coils than that lp 44 is worth. Considering you are taking out the spool in the front, most of the cost of the gears is in the setup of said gears. I have seen an 8.8 and front 30 with chromos and lockers go for 1000 bucks for both in the socal chapter. I would get a jeep that kept the coils in front and do what you want with the axles later. Just my two pennies.

Well if you dont want the leaves in the front especially if it was a hack job, you will spend more time, money and effort to getting it back to coils than that lp 44 is worth. Considering you are taking out the spool in the front, most of the cost of the gears is in the setup of said gears. I have seen an 8.8 and front 30 with chromos and lockers go for 1000 bucks for both in the socal chapter. I would get a jeep that kept the coils in front and do what you want with the axles later. Just my two pennies.

Well, actually, I could just take the leaves off, and slide the rebuilt HP30 I've got in my back yard under there and not mess with adding brackets to the 44....hadn't thought of that. That would simplify things. I am looking at a '99 with TnT Y-link, 4.10's, front locker, rear 8.8 with LSD and discs...all kind of good stuff under it...problem it, it's 11 hrs from me:roll: and actually, both these trucks are at the same purchase price right now.
So, I guess Question #2: Rear 44 vs. 8.8 with discs......

I have seen an 8.8 and front 30 with chromos and lockers go for 1000 bucks for both in the socal chapter.

Yo, SoCal is a drive for you...I used to live in SoCal, got my first degree from SFSU, and been to Chico a few time. Matter of fact...wheeling/camping in the Plumas NF(?) in the late 80's with my barely modified Samurai.....it was really pretty out there.:cheers:

Is the hardware still attached to the front end (lower control arm brackets)? If it's been all cut-off, you'll have that to re-do also if you decide to put a D30 back in the front. I assume the rear is a Eaggy D44 also, 6-lug? Another mis-match issue to consider.

Personally, I'd pass on it. You could pull the spool and put in an open D44 carrier w/ a Lock Right. Probably run you a couple hundred for a used carrier and Lock Right, if you can find them. Plus, if it's a full spool as opposed to a mini-spool, you'll have to re-set the gears if you swap carriers.

Is the hardware still attached to the front end (lower control arm brackets)? If it's been all cut-off, you'll have that to re-do also if you decide to put a D30 back in the front. I assume the rear is a Eaggy D44 also, 6-lug? Another mis-match issue to consider.

Personally, I'd pass on it. You could pull the spool and put in an open D44 carrier w/ a Lock Right. Probably run you a couple hundred for a used carrier and Lock Right, if you can find them. Plus, if it's a full spool as opposed to a mini-spool, you'll have to re-set the gears if you swap carriers.

Both 44's are from an '87 Wagoneer. Forgot about the lug pattern....see I figured someone on here would have their thinking cap on if I didn't!:jester:
Thanks

The other issue I thought about was steering....he's got a 1 ton set up...high steer.....not likely gonna work with the HP30......hmmm

Yo, SoCal is a drive for you...I used to live in SoCal, got my first degree from SFSU, and been to Chico a few time. Matter of fact...wheeling/camping in the Plumas NF(?) in the late 80's with my barely modified Samurai.....it was really pretty out there.:cheers:

There are alot of good guys in the seirra chapter that do part trains for us up here in the north. Axles would be a sizable load though. Yes the plumas is nice, at least what hasnt burnt. Back on subject though, leave that jeep alone. Find a one with a solid long arm, put your 30 in it with some chromos, and find an 8.8 and call it good. Front HP 44's are nice, but not worth the hassle if you dont have the time to do it right.

Ok, I passed on the XJ with 44's. It had the bones of a good trail rig, but it needed more work/fab than I have skill, time, or money for! It would be a good deal for someone with more skills. The Spool was really a non issue on the street with the hubs unlocked. It went well, but has some quirks that I just didn't have skills to remedy.
I would up buying Jbaird1's '01 on 35's. Got some shaking at highway speed, and some cupped Claws that were vibrating pretty good. Overall though, it seems pretty sound.
Tomorrow gotta git it home from 'nooga!:spin1:

Thanks JBaird1!:cheers:

So the 44 has 30 splines? or could it be either?
Excuse the ignorance. prior to my XJ getting crushed by a tree, I never considered a 44 due to expense, and the fact that I really didn't want to go larger than 33's and keeping it open. I've actually got a HP30 rebuilt with 4.56's in my backyard...just no truck:rof:

Sorry I did not get back sooner... All 44 fronts are 30 spline to my knowledge. Sounds like you made a good decision based on all info.

Back