• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

whats your brake pad of choice?

MaxxXJ

NAXJA Forum User
according to the tire shop i have about 20% pad life left up front... the rears arent so hot either but im not so excited about replacing rear drumbs either... anyway. what brake pads have you used that gave you the best results? i was thinkin maybe either red/green/yellow stuff pads... i even thought about using hawk racing pads, hawks are my favorite as far as my honda goes, i couldnt be happier with them ( but jeeps are different ) so what pads should i go with up front? and or should i go with slotted rotors or no? its a 2000 with 112K miles on it should i go the route of new rotors? they said my old ones are fine but i wouldnt mind stopping better than what i do now. and i dont plan on a rear disc conversion yet so... just whats ur pad preference and if i should upgrade my fronts and replace the rears too

Wagner thermo-Quiet. Stops great and there is reduced brake dust so it looks cleaner.

What kind of pad depends on what you are using the Jeep for.

Sloted rotors? Are you trying to race it? What's the point?
On the street, I doubt if you'd notice the difference. If you use the Jeep on the trail even a little bit, the holes trap dirt/mud and reduce your brakes effectiveness.

For pads, my 98' calls for metalic pads, and I have had good luck with that. When I tried going with regular pads, they didn't stop as well.

The shoes get whatever they have in stock as they are just asbestos (or whatever they use now) shoes. I just make sure they are in adjustment as the self-adjusters tend to slack off on the job.

I've had Raybestos Semi Metallics on the front of my '98 in the past and loved them and currently have their Quiet Stops on there now and don't care much for them. I've got another set of Raybestos Semi Metallic pads and shoes as well as new wheel cylinders in the garage waiting to go on mine the next time Dad and I get the time to do brakes and I'm planning on a set of factory drums and rotors at the same time. The current rotors were put on by a local dealer as part of the rust belt brake rotor recall and they have worked well ehough for me that I'm willing to buy another pair, even if I have to spend more money than on others.

Sorry for the hijack, but does Anybody know what the difference between rear drums on civilian and police XJ's?

Akebono. I work at a shop and when we do brakes, it's either dealer/OEM or Akebono. Most of the time Akebono will stop better, last longer, and with less noise. We've never had a single complaint about their brake pads.

What kind of pad depends on what you are using the Jeep for.

Sloted rotors? Are you trying to race it? What's the point?
On the street, I doubt if you'd notice the difference. If you use the Jeep on the trail even a little bit, the holes trap dirt/mud and reduce your brakes effectiveness.

For pads, my 98' calls for metalic pads, and I have had good luck with that. When I tried going with regular pads, they didn't stop as well.

The shoes get whatever they have in stock as they are just asbestos (or whatever they use now) shoes. I just make sure they are in adjustment as the self-adjusters tend to slack off on the job.

its going to be mostly a daily driver with weekend trail runs. when i go up to the snow its a long downhill run and its common for most to ride their brakes, me im kinda forced to cuz i dont like to hear screaming from everyone riding with me when i try and drift around corners lol, anyway jokes aside, this is why i asked, if i dont need slotted rotors, if they will only cause harm, if i upgrade i'll just get something with a smooth surface and quality name.

the guys at the tire shops pointed me in a different direction and told me not to use duralast pads, ive been partial to hawk racing pads myself, and curious about EBC's stuff, price to me isnt as big of a concern as my safety for me and my passengers, if i got to drop another dime to make things work better, then thats what i wanna do, i may just see if hawk and or ebc have drum's and disc pads, and go that route, i went duralast for my girls truck and they wernt very impressive to me.

Never the cheapest, never the most expensive- whatever falls in the middle, and is in stock. It's a station wagon.

so i can safely assume ur younger with no kids? i dont think you would understand that its a 5 seater station wagon, and because you went cheap on pads, you sacrafice the safety of your kids and passengers, but if its just a toy and trail rig, then im sure it doesnt matter if your jeep stops on a dime or if it feels spongy going down a long decline...

No, you can't. I'm 34, drive my XJ daily (I've put just a bit over 100,000 miles on it), hauling myself, materials, friends, family, even their offspring, towing a trailer... I have driven just about every day since 1990, and I've put hundreds of thousands of miles on a variety of vehicles without problems.

If you want to put slotted, cross-drilled, cryo treated rotors and Hawk pads on your XJ, go nuts. On a stock DD, it's not really necessary, if you know how to drive. You asked what people ran, and you got answers. If you don't like the answers, well, GFY.

No, you can't. I'm 34, drive my XJ daily (I've put just a bit over 100,000 miles on it), hauling myself, materials, friends, family, even their offspring, towing a trailer... I have driven just about every day since 1990, and I've put hundreds of thousands of miles on a variety of vehicles without problems.

If you want to put slotted, cross-drilled, cryo treated rotors and Hawk pads on your XJ, go nuts. On a stock DD, it's not really necessary, if you know how to drive. You asked what people ran, and you got answers. If you don't like the answers, well, GFY.

didnt say i didnt like the answers i did kind of expect to see better replies then duralast but thats fine, i agree its not necessary, but its never a bad thing to come to a stop when you put ur foot on the brake, i also like it when im on a trail and im on a rock, that it stays where i applied the brakes =), and its not necessary to be harsh and tell someone to Go F themselfs... but whatever suits you i guess

Who makes the Duralast pads? Do you know? Do you have any basis for assuming their components are trash aside from what you read on forums?

I tried NAPA rotors, they suck. They wore out in about 6 months. I went with stealership rotors after that. They were a bit more but they've been good for over a year now. At least I know they are up to factory specs.

Back