• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

WJ Swap ??s before I start buying..

yossarian19

NAXJA Forum User
Ok.
From what I've read, I need either the JKS hub spacers or to make my own to center the U-joint in the knuckle. I also seem to recall reading that a Pre-1990 XJ hub will center everything correctly with no spacer or additional fab. Correct?
Also - Heims don't last as long as TREs, in general, and some offset is needed in the TRE to ensure that your tie rod won't contact the differential cover (especially if you use an aftermarket cover. I plan to use the RuffStuff cover)
Many people find that using the WJ TREs is the best plan. What other options are there for linkage? It's a DD and my only vehicle, so reliability and streetability are the most important things.
The track bar will need to be relocated to the top of the axle to clear the tie rod and to maintain angles with the drag link. Will any old XJ track bar work or am I going to be fabbing something custom, due to its new location on the axle end? Will heims work well here for longevity, or are bushings the better option?

The pre '90 hub should not work. All of the hubs hold the axle in the same location, the only difference is the hat height and how it centers the roter. The renix era hub may make the brakes fit, but will not address u-joint location, which is the entire point.

You will need to fab a new trackbar, strait and short.

Back