• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

4.10's with 33's

Cherokeekid88

NAXJA Forum User
Ok here is the deal. Sold my old XJ to a guy that literally lives 2 minutes from me. He built it up. crawlbox, tranny switch, ext. he bought a set of 4.10s for his d30 with master install kit. Now he is selling the XJ and told me that I could have the 4.10 ring and pinion and master install kit, btw all of this have never been opened. Now about a month ago, i picked up a 29 spline 8.25 to swap my d35 and was going to just regear the rear at first and pull the front DS till i could get the gears for my d30. Well i was originally going with 4.56's front and rear. But now that i have a chance of getting a free set of 4.10's for my 30, im thinking of just going with 4.10's. Now, I know some of you are thinking, well why don't you just get the 4.10's and then sell them and buy the 4.56's for the 30....well I dont want to do that. He is a good guy and if he is giving me something that he payed for, for free, i feel i shouldn't sell them for money for me, he is ALSO willing to help me regear both my axles....he has done about 12 re gears and is a very precise guy. So my question is for those of you that have 33's with 4.10's, how do you like it?

auto or stick?
I hated 4.10's w/33's, but that was with an auto.
I went with 4.88's, and would never go with anything less.

well if ur going to install them urself go for it. If ur not then i would take the 410 gears off him and sell em and get 456 or 488's depending if ur jeeps a daily driver. I think 410's would be good enough but i think youll want more gearing soon or down the road which u dont wanna install or get gears installed and then waste ur money on another deeper set of gears and another installation. In other words if ur sticking with 33's for a long time make sure u choose the gears u want and do it right the first time.

I am running with 4.10's and 33's in mine NV3550 5 spd.Not to bad really I run around 2700 at 75 mph.If I keep the rpm's up around 2500 or so small hills are not to bad on the high way-just the steep grades I loose some speed.I get about 16-18 miles per gallon this way-keeping my 4.0 around 2500 rpm no matter what speed I am doing.:)

4.10s and 33s gets a really bad rap. to tell you the truth I have idea way. Hell Im rolling 42s on 5.13s and my brother is 4.88 on 37s.

There are a lot "IFs" unanswered, but here is my experience.

My YJ with a manual and 2.5L rolls on a set of 33X12.50X15s on aluminum rims. I drive it to and from the trails, and DD it. 5th gear is just a spot on the shifter I wish I could use as the 2.5L just does not have the power to sustain cruise in 5th gear with that tire/engine combo and with the aerodynamics of a lead brick.

I hated 4.10's w/33's, but that was with an auto.
I went with 4.88's, and would never go with anything less.

Same here.
4.10's + 33's + AW4= suckage

yes

try running 307's and 31's that is suckage.
I run 355's and 31's and nv4500trans. I get 15 to 16mpg.
1900 is 60mph and 2500rpm is 80mph
Runs good but i also have a v8

Well. I mean wouldn't 4.10's be better than sticking with 3.55's? I mean the only part about having 3.55's that i hate is from a dead stop. Also mine is an auto and i RARELY do any highway driving, all of my driving is around town. Also a buddy of mine is running 35's on 4.10's and still has alot of pickup. Plus im running BFG's, usually all i run and they never measure to a true 33" tire anyways. I mean this is saving me a couple hundred bucks. I never plan on going to 35's, and if i did, it would be a WAYS down the road.

It'd without question be better than sticking with 3.55's. The 4.10's would give you about the same performance as stock gears and stock tires, was my point before. If you crawl much with it though you may want to go deeper.

Also mine is an auto and i RARELY do any highway driving, all of my driving is around town.

If you're not going to drive over 50 mph, definitely go as deep as you can.
With 4.88's I can drive 75 all day long and it performs excellent on the trails.
My jeep is not my daily driver, but it drives so well in town that I drive it every day ( if that makes any sense).
Go low, its worth it.

If there free, i would do it. Even if its not your "ideal" gearing, you still saved yourself a few hundred bucks!

Im just going to go with the 4.10's. They are free and like i said the guy giving them to me is also going to install them for me. that's a little over 200 bucks for a front and rear regear.

Yeah go with the 4.10s. They're free, and I'm guessing you'll get a free install, if not a highly discounted install from your friend. I'm running 32s with 3.55s and an auto, and while it sucks for the hills, I don't see too much worse from stock. My MPGs dropped to like 15 and the power off the start kinda sucks, but I mainly go highway when I drive so when cruising I'm fine.
Plus if you decide you don't like them, just run the 4.56s or whatever gear you want, you were planning to buy gears anyway right?

if your vehicle is just for local driving and not going onto highways/offroad,4.10's would get the job done.personally,i'd rather do the job once and do it right by installing 4.56's or 4.88's.

First hand. I have 410s and 33 km2s ax15 and 4.0. I'm also sitting about 5". So I have no problem commuting with this setup with about 500lbs of tools in the back and a latter on top. I have medium grade hills through my 70 mile round trip commute and get about 15-16 depending on the time of year.
Now as far as performance. I am completely stock as far as my engine is concerened. I very strong on and offroad performance. On the street I can chirp into second all day.
I hope that helps. I will probably regear when i step up to 35s but i'm going to be riding them for a while and see.

You guys that keep saying that 4.10's and 33's is a good combo. I'd venture to be that you've never ran anything else to compare it to! You obviously don't know what you're missing out on if you think 4.10's are the shiznit.

Back