• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

D60 Steering

Ghost

Member Number 257
NAXJA Member
Trying to work out how I want to do the steering on the cheap right now. I was thinking of running the chevy TRE on top of the factory steering location with a hydro assist ram. Or, running a tie rod in the same locataion with the hydro assist ram and a high steer arm for the drag link. Would love to see what those of you with D60's in the front have done and what have you done and had problems with. Also, has anyone with Ford knuckles damaged them yet?

BTW Ford 79 F350 kingpin 60.

Trying to work out how I want to do the steering on the cheap right now. I was thinking of running the chevy TRE on top of the factory steering location with a hydro assist ram. Or, running a tie rod in the same locataion with the hydro assist ram and a high steer arm for the drag link. Would love to see what those of you with D60's in the front have done and what have you done and had problems with. Also, has anyone with Ford knuckles damaged them yet?

Well this is a Ford D44 but... highsteer, Chevy 1 ton tre's, waggy pitman arm, jks over the axle trackbar bracket. Works good. Some day I'll get around to hydro assist, but this does work. Could use the hydro though when both axles are locked and it doesn't want to turn.

trackbar3.jpg

Ok so my thoughts are to run the drag link to a passanger side high steer arm and move the factory tie rod location to on top of the knuckle. Question is what do I have to do to the knuckle arm. I think drill straight and then taper it. Or do I have to drill straight taer it and put a tapered spacer in there?

Plan is to use Ford 1 ton TRE's

ES2064L 1.00x18tpi 2.735” .808 .773 x .664 4.75”
*ES2011R 1.00x18tpi 2.00” .808 .773 x .664 4.12”

Great info is here on the TRE's.

http://www.jeepfan.com/tech/tierod-id.php

I came across this but it is for jeep factory knucles.

http://www.ok4wd.com/index.php/catalog/product/rock_equipment_tie_rod_flip_kit/

I guess I need to know what taper the reamer needs to be at for those TRE's and some guidance.

subscribing..I am pondering the steering for my D60 that is sitting in the shop.

Can you afford/make a pair of high steer arms? I was planning on running (before I decided that I was going to blow my already way over blown budget) the drag link to the passenger high steer arm and then running the tie rod directly underneath that to the driver's side high steer arm. Of course that was with 7/8" rod ends and won't work with TREs, but you could put them side by side on the top of the high steer arms so similar effect (assuming you have wheel/tire/panhard clearance to do so). Really the only additional cost compared to what you are thinking about it the driver's side high steer arm.

Ok so my thoughts are to run the drag link to a passanger side high steer arm and move the factory tie rod location to on top of the knuckle. Question is what do I have to do to the knuckle arm. I think drill straight and then taper it. Or do I have to drill straight taer it and put a tapered spacer in there?

That's basically what I did.

DSCN5067.JPG

Works pretty well from a functional standpoint, and the steering ram is well protected, but I'm on tie rod #3. 1.5 x .25 DOM on all of 'em.

Being a Dodge axle mine came from the factory with the tie rod over the knuckle. Not sure what you'd have to do to convert yours, although I'd check the clearance to the diff cover at full lock as I know the stock tie rod has a bend to clear it. I think the Ford tie rod holes are a little closer to the kingpins than the chevy/dodge knuckles.

With the guys I wheel with, we've had 4 stock Ford knuckles break. All had some sort of hi-steer arrangement. No failures with chevy/dodge knuckles yet.

That's basically what I did.

DSCN5067.JPG

Works pretty well from a functional standpoint, and the steering ram is well protected, but I'm on tie rod #3. 1.5 x .25 DOM on all of 'em.

Being a Dodge axle mine came from the factory with the tie rod over the knuckle. Not sure what you'd have to do to convert yours, although I'd check the clearance to the diff cover at full lock as I know the stock tie rod has a bend to clear it. I think the Ford tie rod holes are a little closer to the kingpins than the chevy/dodge knuckles.

With the guys I wheel with, we've had 4 stock Ford knuckles break. All had some sort of hi-steer arrangement. No failures with chevy/dodge knuckles yet.

So you are running the factory Dodge set up and that tie rod? I have been warned on the ford knuckle issue. I will do knuckles when I can but right now it would mean no lockers. :) Where the ones that broke full hydro? Hopefully someone can give me some advise on how to procede with the reaming of my arms. If I have to I'll run it like it is but that would mean redoing the hydro assist later with the newer knuckles. If I can get this to work as is that would mean only one knuckle hopefully.

You can weld a gusset onto the Ford knuckles so they won't break. For the steering, if you must use TRE's (I tried, I hated it :)) then the pass side high steer arm needs two holes, the inside hole for the drag link and the outside hole for the tie rod. Or, run the inverted T with all TRE's and live with the dead spot and the possibility of bending the long pass side TRE.

Or, just do rod ends and make it a simple inverted Y. Do like RCman is doing and use 7/8" rod ends rather than the normal 3/4" and it should be mega durable and very positive. This makes the steering tighter to the axle and less bent tie rods. We've learned (the hard way) that it's as important to keep the tie rod as close to the axle as it is to keep it high, to avoid getting it bent. If you drill your own hole in the steering arm, you can turn how tight your steering is.

You can weld a gusset onto the Ford knuckles so they won't break.

I have seen some pictures on pirate about it but am unsure of the process. Are the knuckles cast or forged or what? What type of welding process will be needed? Ni rod or will MIG work?

For the steering, if you must use TRE's (I tried, I hated it :)) then the pass side high steer arm needs two holes, the inside hole for the drag link and the outside hole for the tie rod. Or, run the inverted T with all TRE's and live with the dead spot and the possibility of bending the long pass side TRE.

Or, just do rod ends and make it a simple inverted Y. Do like RCman is doing and use 7/8" rod ends rather than the normal 3/4" and it should be mega durable and very positive. This makes the steering tighter to the axle and less bent tie rods. We've learned (the hard way) that it's as important to keep the tie rod as close to the axle as it is to keep it high, to avoid getting it bent. If you drill your own hole in the steering arm, you can turn how tight your steering is.

I have bought a Ballistic arm for the passenger side. The plan is to run he drag link to that. The tie rod moving on top is the next dilemma. If this will not work I'll just buy the arm for the other side.

Back