• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Front Bumpstop Posts

BADaXJ

NAXJA Forum User
does anyone know if the front bumpstop towers are hollow? i need extended bumpstops but i'm pretty cheap and like making my own stuff. i'm wondering if i can cut the posts above the stock bumpstop cup and if it's hollow,(like a pipe) then i will find some steel pipe to slip inside the stock post and weld it at the proper length. then add a couple hockey pucks on the axle spring cups to soften it up a bit. thoughts? i also need longer posts because my springs fall out at full flex with the long arms:gee:
Here's a real crappy pic but hopefully you'll see what i'm trying to say:
dsc01196fbjdskfem8.jpg

bump stops on my 89 screw in, so making something longer that screws in to the towers is easy. dont know if there hollow, but on my 89 they are threaded.

rockkrawler has some bumpstops like that, weld them in the stock tower, they are threaded for adjustment.

holy god what lift and tire setup do you have? is that pic at ride height?

that's at flex, not ride height. about 6" and 34's. i figured it was the best pic to show what i was talking about... thanks for the replies guys, i'll check out the rk ones, i think i've seen them before.

Yeah it's hollow...the whole post comes off by cutting a couple stitch welds:

n24800499_33128131_1065.jpg

n24800499_33128136_1427.jpg

While you've got it apart, it's not a bad idea to reinforce that area...those bumpstop posts are prone to bending if you get a strong hit off-center. Here's how mine ended up after I replaced the stock pieces:

n24800499_33134868_1675.jpg

The whole writeup is here:

http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=982229

Another really cheap solution to bumpstopping is using hockey pucks. They are like a buck a piece. Just search for it and you should find plenty!

Another really cheap solution to bumpstopping is using hockey pucks. They are like a buck a piece. Just search for it and you should find plenty!

x2

yeah, i've seen a lot about that. the only thing is that i already cut the stock "cups" because my coil springs were catching on them before i went to long arms...

does anyone know if the front bumpstop towers are hollow? i need extended bumpstops but i'm pretty cheap and like making my own stuff. i'm wondering if i can cut the posts above the stock bumpstop cup and if it's hollow,(like a pipe) then i will find some steel pipe to slip inside the stock post and weld it at the proper length. then add a couple hockey pucks on the axle spring cups to soften it up a bit. thoughts? i also need longer posts because my springs fall out at full flex with the long arms:gee:
Here's a real crappy pic but hopefully you'll see what i'm trying to say:

I think the best way is to slide a slightly larger metal tube or pipe over the existing tower and let it bottom-out where the stock tower get wider at the top. Thats how JKS adjustable bump stops work. Unless you are trying to change the angle of the tower too. Look for a write up on installing ACOS.

i would slip pipe over the outside but what about the stock isolators and/ or spacers? they wouldn't fit over the new pipe. what about sliding it over the outside and running a low profile bolt through it instead of welding so it's removable?

Back