• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Custom Tie Rod

RªMB°

NAXJA Forum User
I am going to machine a new tie rod for my XJ that is made out of beefier material, but I need to know the thread sizes of the tie rod ends. Anyone know what these are?

Don't know thread size but one is left hand thread other is a right hand thread.Iron rock off road makes a 1.25 dia. tube for 66.00 plus shipping fyi.

In my opinion, its easier to get some thick DOM and some tube adapters, and weld them in. After factoring in the costs of taps, (left hand threads aren't cheap), it just might not be worth it.

If that doesn't work for you, then I can't really help you with the tap size, sorry.

I am going to machine a new tie rod for my XJ that is made out of beefier material, but I need to know the thread sizes of the tie rod ends. Anyone know what these are?
Taps are way to expensive to invest in for factory size threads.Why would you even consider it?

Burger King,you can have it your way!

Define "good" price?

I have 1.5" OD x .25" wall DOM with the "1 ton" TRE's on my D44. I consider that beef.

I got the TRE's, threaded inserts, and enough DOM to make my tie rod, draglink, and track bar for just over $200.

Im going to get 1.25" thick hex molybodenum soild and since Im a machinist it is 0 factor for me to make left hand and right hand threads without a tap especially with tap drill hole bigger than 1/2".
The tie rod will only cost me $40 in material and $0 for any additional items.
Thank you for the information on the thread size xjjeepthing.

I also stress tested it in a program that I have and the hex is stronger than round material in the factor that the way when a rock hits it the stess is distributed against a minimum of 2 surfaces instead of a rounded face.

I also stress tested it in a program that I have and the hex is stronger than round material in the factor that the way when a rock hits it the stess is distributed against a minimum of 2 surfaces instead of a rounded face.

Yes, for matters in pure bending, two solid planes are better than a rounded surface, as you have a greater surface area to yield. But, you aren't always going to have that surface facing/coming into contact with the rocks/obstacles. I haven't run the numbers,and I'm not going to, but I'd trust the uniform shape of the round stock vs a corner of that hex. Either way, it should be plenty.

Im going to get 1.25" thick hex molybodenum soild and since Im a machinist it is 0 factor for me to make left hand and right hand threads without a tap especially with tap drill hole bigger than 1/2".
The tie rod will only cost me $40 in material and $0 for any additional items.
Thank you for the information on the thread size xjjeepthing.

Sounds good. Ill take some.....

Yes, for matters in pure bending, two solid planes are better than a rounded surface, as you have a greater surface area to yield. But, you aren't always going to have that surface facing/coming into contact with the rocks/obstacles. I haven't run the numbers,and I'm not going to, but I'd trust the uniform shape of the round stock vs a corner of that hex. Either way, it should be plenty.
Ya, but you don't want it stronger than the knuckle. I would rather bend a tie rod than break a knuckle.

I have yet to see a broken knuckle. The tie rod end would break first.
agreed.

depending on how much equipment is available to the OP and what his skill is, it's possible to cut threads on a lathe (even internal threads) so he wouldn't necessarily need to purchase the taps...

Just get some 1.5" OD .25" wall DOM and some threaded inserts. Use Dodge Ramcharger TRE's which have the same taper with a larger shank. Cost is pretty low and is what I did.

TRE comparison
ComparisonTieRodcopy.jpg

Tie Rod Installed
InstallTieRod.jpg

Dodge TRE part numbers ES2847R ES2848R. For searching purposes use 1991 Dodge Ramcharger. Total cost to me was $100.

Its not that I cant measure threads I used the thread guage and got 18 TPI (Threads Per Inch) but it didnt align with any of the common threads in the Machinist Handbook because its not a normal everyday thread that most people deal with!

Back