• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

When did the roof racks change?

Well from 84 to 90 or 91 the roof rack "rails" were pretty much flat, and the crossbars had to be unscrewed to be slid.

91 or so to 2001 used rails that are higher, although the crossbars "click" into place and you have to hold a button down in order to slide.

The crossbars remained the same until about mid or late 1998 where they changed to the Grand Cherokee style crossbars which were alot more aerodynamic and alot more sturdy.

As I said the rails remained the same so the crossbars can be swapped pre 98/99 or post 98/99. For instance I put 2001 crossbars on my 95.

Pre 91 will not swap with post 91 because the rails on the roof are entirely different.

Yes, I shortened the rack on my 95 because I put a lightrack on the roof.

I'm guessing the well-nuts they use in 2000 and 2001 are in different locations. I had to cut mine further back than the 2000 and 2001's because of the well nut placement, and in order to keep the rails sturdy.

It's the rails I'm curious about. I'm selling a MOPAR rooftop tire carrier that will only fit on the "newer" rails. It looks like '92 and newer for sure. Does anybody know which the '91s have? I've brought up pictures on Google of '91 Cherokees and have seen both. Was it a mix that year?

While were on the topic of racks, there any secrets out there to strengthen the stock racks? I pulled mine out when I had my high lift mounted to it and now I want to put my skis on it. I was going to grab a rack out of the junkyard, and grab some gromments while I'm in there.

~Scott

Maybe run large bolts through the roof with large washers behind the headliner, under the roof? Instead of the well nuts used from the factory.

Or buy a roof rack system that mounts to the "rain gutters" above the doors instead.

kind of off subject but its sort of odd to see an XJ without the factory roof rack - I have an '88 2 door out back (took the engine out and put it in my '90) that doesn't have one - is this pretty uncommon?

Back