• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

what else do i need for 3" lift

eatsleepoffroad

NAXJA Forum User
i just got a 3" rough country lift kit for my 2000 xj, it comes with all 4 shock replacments, 2 new coils and add a leaf for the back. i just installed it yesterday and its riding good. im getting a little vibration i'm assuming because i didnt drop the transfercase at all. is there anything else im going to need? or any problems i may run into down the road? please let me know thanks---justin

Your AAL will eventually sag, 97+ you may need a SYE and not just a TC drop, you may want to upgrade your LCA's, Depending on flex you might think about longer brake lines, tires size could lead to trimming and bumpstopping

i would leave that lift kit alone as LONG as possible.... if you get into harder offroading, buy an aussie locker, or a winch.
you WILL be moving up, lift-wise.

you may need a transfer case drop or a slip yoke eliminator due to your late model xj

your rc 3" didnt come w/ lower control arms?

did you ditch your rear sway bar? (recommended)

lca= lower control arm. Just know that a few months down the road you'll be wanting a 4.5" lol NAXJA

yea i know, i would like to go higher but im running out of funds quick! down the road i may put something bigger in. no my rc lift didn't come with lower control arms. i kept the rear sway bar on for now, it is an everyday driver so i didn't want to sacrifice alot of handling for offroading capabilities. how much will i gain by removing it?

i'd say your gains will outweigh your losses in removing the rear sway bar. It doesn't do much anyway as it's so small. Most lift kits require you to remove it anyway.

I removed my front sway bar as well, and it's still not all that bad. Just don't drive it like a dodge viper and you're fine. As a DD, though, I'd keep the front and just get some sway bar disconnects.

Otherwise, your best bet for adding to the lift would be to get new lower control arms. A transfer case drop will prob. get rid of your vibrations or axle shims a few degrees. If you haven't already, straighten out the "Z" bend in your front brake lines in the wheelwells and remount them, gives you another 4-5" of length. A rear brake line extension is not a bad idea also.

you already have lower control arms (they are the one that are lower than the upper control arms...haha) you need longer ones or adjustables. FWIW i have 4.5' lift with stock control arms and other that the harsher ride, it is still streetable.

replace the lower control arms. you have upper and lower control arms. when you buy aftermarket ones, make sure they are for the appropriate amount of lift. They will be slightly longer. Or you can buy adjustable ones for when you lift it more.

as far as the price point goes i found this lower control arm drop kit on ebay check it out and let me know if it would be a logical thing to spend my money on or just save for new ones

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Jeep-Cherokee-Control-Arm-
Drop-kit-for-lifted-XJs_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQ_trkparmsZ72Q3
a543Q7c66Q3a2Q7c65Q3a12Q7c39Q3a1Q7c240Q3a13
18Q7c301Q3a1Q7c293Q3a2Q7c294Q3a50QQ_trksidZp3286Q2ec0
Q2em14QQhashZitem250351056423QQitemZ250351056423QQptZ
MotorsQ5fCarQ5fTruckQ5fPartsQ5fAccessories

so then wat am i going to gain by buying lower control arms? arent they just longer than stock?

thanks--justin

need and want are two different things. do you need longer(stronger) lower control arms with a 3" lift, NO. but you may want them later down the road.

what you gain with longer after market control arms is strength and the ability to adjust caster and pinion angle.

i think at 3", an adjustable trackbar is needed before lower control arms.

it seems that what you have is fine except you need to take care of the vibs your getting with a sye or transfercase drop

did you get the front end aligned?

Back