• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Home made drop brackets!

TRAILREADYXJ

NAXJA Forum User
I have this posted in my build thread (see sig), but figured I'd bring them over here as well...

TRAILREADYXJ said:
I haven't updated this in a while, so here it goes.

I'm still waiting on stuff to finish my friends XJ, so in my spare time I decided to work on a little project....

What do you do when you don't have the extra cash to get or make some longarms, but are lifted 6", and you NEED to do something with your control arms???

Well, you could go out and buy some of those drop brackets, many have good luck with.

But what if you have the steel, tools, and like to fab stuff?

You make them!

I started by making a visit to xjtrailrider's house (thanks again Jon!). He had a set of RE brackets he hadn't installed yet. I took some measurements, traced the brackets, and talked Jeeps for a while.

Then I worked up a design using material I already had lying around.

Needless to say by the pics below, I changed the original design a good bit!

I made these a one piece design, although there will still be a strap going to the stock UCA mount, probably welded to the bracket. I will eventually be building some braces to tie it into the frame and crossmember, mainly to use as sliders so I'm less likely to get hung up on the brackets. Many folks run these on MJs without the frame braces, so I am going to install them as is for now.

I also added a couple places for self tapping bolts to run up through the stock LCA pocket, and into the frame for added support. There are also a few UCA mounting choices. I will be running stock UCAs for now, so this gives me a few options, including a 1" stretch :). I have adjustable lowers, so I'm not worried about any adjustment there.

Sorry for the crappy cell phone pics, my camera is acting up. I only took a couple shots while the paint was drying, but will get more, as well as install pics once I have a chance to put them on.
122508_1429a.jpg

122508_1431a.jpg

I only have about $10 (welding supplies) and roughly 12 hours into these so far :) (not including design time)

Got them installed. Everything went smooth, except I need to move my swaybar mount higher. The steering hits the endlink if I turn right due to the extended wheelbase, but I saw that one coming.

I did take a little drive without the swaybar, and the ride is much better!

Before:
DSCF2720.jpg

After:
DSCF2747.jpg

Before:
DSCF2724.jpg

After:
DSCF2745.jpg

Before:
DSCF2721.jpg

After:
DSCF2746.jpg

I got the UCA straps installed, and made an extra mount to take full advantage of the stock LCA brace. Yes, I have a bit of an oil leak!
DSCF2751.jpg

DSCF2752.jpg
Questions, comments, flamage?

WOW, nice work. 12 hrs? I'd buy them before spending that much time,but thats just me

Last edited:
WOW, nice work. 12 hrs? I'd buy them before spending that much time,but thats just me
Thanks. It was mostly spare time tinkering around in the garage. I have the whole built not bought thing going on with my MJ, plus I wanted to see if I could do it.

Bryson said:
I would add some form of brace to the LCA bracket like the RC or RE brackets. Theres a lot of force pushing and pulling on that LCA.
I plan on it, but feel these will be fine until I get to it. There are 8 bolts holding each one on. 2 through the frame and pocket (not pictured, but you can see the holes in the first pics), 2 through the back of the pocket, 2 through the stock LCA brace, and the stock LCA and UCA bolts. I won't be doing any hardcore wheeling until I can swap axles, etc... anyway, and will get to it by then. Many run the RE braces on MJs without issues, but I want them for sliders if nothing else.

DID you modify the stock LCA mounts or are they different in that year?

These are mine on my RE 5.5" lift that will be long armed this summer. But deff add some bracing to them. The RK braces are very small but the RE ones are nice and long and to me seem more beneficial.

DSCN2698.jpg

DID you modify the stock LCA mounts or are they different in that year?

That's how the mounts are stock, MJs got extra bracing from the factory ;) That's why the RE or RC braces don't fit MJs, and many run without or make their own. RRO makes MJ specific brackets, and are closer to what I have copied so far.

I will be building the braces similar to the RE ones, they will run down the frame to the cross member

Nice work. I am the same way, I feel better to build then buy. Keep up the good work.

Very nice work! Any plans/drawings of the pieces that you would like to share ???

CDM

Thanks, I have actually had a few requests for the plans, so I'm going to get a buddy to draw them on CAD, or transfer them to PDF or something. Maybe I'll sell the plans on ebay... j/k.

the mj brackets are not differant, they just have an extra peice, when removing lca mounts for a long arm build, i discovered that they actually come off pretty easily w/ a grinding wheel (it was the first step in removing the entire mount), so if you want to run db's on an mj, you CAN remove the extra metal to get the db's to fit most likely (or at least to get xj spec mounts, should you be into that kinda thing...)

looks good and im impressed with fab skills but why not just build long arms since you obviously would have no problem doing it. Little more coin for steel but c'mon, eventaully we all get the itch for em.

xcm said:
the mj brackets are not differant, they just have an extra peice, when removing lca mounts for a long arm build, i discovered that they actually come off pretty easily w/ a grinding wheel (it was the first step in removing the entire mount), so if you want to run db's on an mj, you CAN remove the extra metal to get the db's to fit most likely (or at least to get xj spec mounts, should you be into that kinda thing...)
I agree with the brackets, but since they are there I may as well use them. It won't be hard for me to build braces around them.

looks good and im impressed with fab skills but why not just build long arms since you obviously would have no problem doing it. Little more coin for steel but c'mon, eventaully we all get the itch for em.

Thanks! I actually have my reasons for not going LA right away. I will likely do so in the future, but it would be in the form of a hidden 3 link, and that takes time.
My garage is currently full with a friends XJ project, and this was something I could build while waiting on parts for it. Plus I could install them in my driveway. In fact I didn't even remove a wheel, or lift a tire for that matter, to install them.
I also needed to get the truck riding better ASAP since it will see more street time during the winter, so downtime was a factor. My DD is a slightly modded Mustang GT, and it doesn't like winter!

builder said:
x2 on the braces!
No fear, there WILL be braces! :D
I may even start them today :dunno:

Last edited:
Thanks. They are a combination of 3/16" tubing, 1/4" plate, and the back is 1/2" plate.

Back