• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Balancing Tires With Air Soft Pellets!

vortex

NAXJA Forum User
Has anyone around here use them? I'm mounting my tires today and I am using 6oz of 20gram BB's just curious what you guys thought? I will let you know what i think and will test them off road on Sunday at Tahuya.

-PJ-

Has anyone around here use them? I'm mounting my tires today and I am using 6oz of 20gram BB's just curious what you guys thought? I will let you know what i think and will test them off road on Sunday at Tahuya.

-PJ-

1. There is a lot of talk about this in the tech forums.

2. When you blow a bead and they get spread all over the trail please be sure to clean up after yourself.

I don't understand what testing them offroad has to do with balancing. :) Why not just get them balanced at a shop? Helps to have a good tire guy who takes care of you when you visit. Other than initial mount and balance on a new set of tires, I don't think I've ever paid for a patch job or rebalance.

1. There is a lot of talk about this in the tech forums.

2. When you blow a bead and they get spread all over the trail please be sure to clean up after yourself.

1. I posted in the tech forum and some guy was like ehh yea i did that its okay...I just wanted to know if any of the NW guys have tried this...

2. I don't intend on blowing a bead but if i do i will be sure to clean them all up.

-PJ-

what kind of tires? if they are not an INTERCO tire, then the Airsoft idea isnt needed, just have them Mounted and balanced. the reason you use Airsoft bbs is because TSL's and Trxus M/ts dont balance at a tireshop very easily!

I'm running beads in TSL's and they seem to work great. I'm also using beadlocks, and some tire shops won't deal with them, so my options were limited. However, all of my previous sets of tires were radials that I had balanced at the tire shop, and I had no problems at all with regular lead weights. On the last 2 sets of radials, 33's and 35's, I asked for the weights to be installed on the inside of the rim, as I seem to rub them less than the outside.

Don't screw around with measuring them out. Get a red party cup, fill it about a CM from the top with plastic BB's, dump 1 of these cups into each tire and be done with it. Or just run regular weights, they are alot harder to rip off then people say.

-Alex

Or just run regular weights, they are alot harder to rip off then people say.

-Alex

I've had good luck with tape-on weights. Piece of black duct tape (on black wheels) over top makes them nearly invisible. I've never lost any this way.

Example:
tapeweight.jpg

The question that I've been thinking about is the effect of a tire plug on a tire full of airsofts? I'd think that the BB's would stick to a fresh plug....?

The question that I've been thinking about is the effect of a tire plug on a tire full of airsofts? I'd think that the BB's would stick to a fresh plug....?

Were you thinking of mine? There is enough dust and dirt inside of these tires that I bet it would make the plug not sticky after not too long. Or the pellets would just hit it over and over again pulling the stickiness away. I never had a problem with my plugged tire, but I am interested in seeing what the BB's inside look like.

-Alex

IMO, if you don't need BBs in your tires (not interco) and you daily drive it...pay to get them balanced. Yes, I'm running BBs right now...but it's because I wanted to try them and I couldnt afford a balance...now I'm disliking the vibes on the freeway and want to get some real weights. Just food for thought though. Oh, and I'm running 31" BFG KMs on aluminum 15x8x3.75 wheels. I think and varries on the rig for vibes.

~Scott

I kept losing weights when wheeling with my 33's

So I ran airsoft BB's, was using trxus mt's.

8oz in each tire worked pretty good to about 65mph, and started feeling a touch of wobble at 70mph. I think I would've tried 10 oz if I had kept the Jeep.

And yeah...testing is done on highway, has nothing to do with off-roading.

Back