• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Highest Watt H3 Bulbs?

some places sell a wiring harness for aftermarket lights. I got one from advance auto for like $20. It runs them fine. Came with all wiring and the relay already setup. It was a little thicker and the packaging said it was for high power driving lights.

Wires are upgraded, 10awg all the way through. The only thing that isn't are the leads coming off the bulbs itself. I would imagine those get thicker as the wattage increases though... So a any more input? I saw some 130watt on rallylights, and some 150 on ebay but they look super cheesy and are $45.

are they actually that wattage? I have seen some H3's advertised before at that level that were actually 55w. The tiny print said something along the lines of "Equivalent Brightness as 150w"...

PIAA has some of the best bulbs (and highest wattsage) in my view I think the is actually a legal limit on the wattage (reason why some say off road only) so they say its the equivalent of 110W but labeled as a 55 for street use.for high quality bulbs that will withstand the heat of 110 watt you ar going to be paying over $50 for the set

Yea price isn't really an object, I just don't wanna blow $50 on some shitty chinese bulbs. Street legality isn't an issue either. Theses would only be used off-road. I'm just looking for some REALLY bright bulbs.

Whatever you do, make sure the housings you put them in can take the heat of the bulbs. I've personally seen the aftermath of what happens when one can't tolerate the other...

Yea price isn't really an object, I just don't wanna blow $50 on some shitty chinese bulbs. Street legality isn't an issue either. Theses would only be used off-road. I'm just looking for some REALLY bright bulbs.

FWIW, I've been running E-codes, upgraded wiring, and 90/130W Super Whites for several years without any trouble.

No, they're not DoT-approved. But, with a bit of care in aiming, you shouldn't get hassled unless the "ticket quota" isn't being met - even at that, it's only an equipment ticket. Repair it and get it signed off (and pay $10, if you're in CA. After all, CA is going broke these days...) But, no points. Swap them back after you get it signed off.

Whatever bulbs you plan on getting, do not be afraid to spend money on the housings - that's usually more important! Hella bowls are metal reflectors with quality cut glass lenses, both E-codes and DoT-approved. PIAA and Cibie bowls are of similar quality (if not better - I tend to stick to Hella because the prices are right.)

LOL Oh man I guess I should have explained myself a little more thoroughly.

These are H3 bulbs I am looking for. I'm working on, well I guess you could call it retrofitting, some Hella 500's. I'm working on making the plastic bowls they come in into aluminum to withstand the heat. The wires and connectors have already been taken care of. So that being said, I am looking for some ridiculously powerful H3 bulbs...

i run 100w in my 500s and theyre pretty drn bright...but i read somewhere that aircraft langind lights from a cessna i think it was work better for some reason and there was some pretty convincing pix to back up the claim...it was on this forum somewhere.

I had a set of 130W bulbs in my old Hella 500. I did wire them to have a relay and fuse on each light. Heat was not a problem but I lived in Michigan when I had that Jeep. They were very bright, pretty noticeable difference over the 55W I started with. Unfortunately I do not remember where I found my bulbs. It was almost 10 years ago, I do remember they were not too expensive though.

PIAA has some of the best bulbs (and highest wattsage) in my view I think the is actually a legal limit on the wattage (reason why some say off road only) so they say its the equivalent of 110W but labeled as a 55 for street use.for high quality bulbs that will withstand the heat of 110 watt you ar going to be paying over $50 for the set

The highest wattage PIAA offers in a H3 is a 85 watt bulb... the next highest wattage PIAA offers is 65 on a 9000 series bulb. Nothing spectacular. And this 55w = 100w is pure BS. PIAA does make some spectacularly overpriced bulbs though.

A few brands of good bulbs that aren't ridiculously priced are Narva, Osram Hella and IPF. Hella has a 130watt H3 bulb.

http://www.rallylights.com/SearchResult.aspx?CategoryID=2

LOL Oh man I guess I should have explained myself a little more thoroughly.

These are H3 bulbs I am looking for. I'm working on, well I guess you could call it retrofitting, some Hella 500's. I'm working on making the plastic bowls they come in into aluminum to withstand the heat. The wires and connectors have already been taken care of. So that being said, I am looking for some ridiculously powerful H3 bulbs...

Oh. Duh.:banghead:

I was just planning on getting some 12V/14V landing lights when I decided to go that route. My driving lamps (whatever the small rectangular Hellas are - 550?) have 100W bulbs, and the fog lamps have 55W (I won't go any higher in a fogger - not worth it, and dimmer is better there. The "sweet spot" seems to be 35-55W with an amber colour and the proper lense cut.)

Bear in mind that, if you want to get aircraft lighting, that most G/A-rated aircraft lamps will be 24/28V, and not 12/14V (automotive electrical systems are rated for a nominal 12V or 24V, aircraft for 14V or 28V. No, I don't know why either...) So, it's either a voltage doubler or finding 12/14V lamps - they're out there, you just need to know where to look.

What do you have in mind? Consider going to a PAR34 spot instead? I think those are available in higher power ratings...

landing craft lighting?....

just go HID

Yeah, but everybody and their farkin' brother has HIDs anymore. Having 300-400W landing lamps should be a good talking point (and you could light up a campsite like high noon, if you want to!)

Should also work on tailgaters...

NB: I in no way condone such action, nor will I take responsibility for anyone who does so. Nor will I accept responsibility for anyone who installs a train horn underhood so you can scare people who cut you off on the road. Nope - I won't be responsible (but you can send me a video so I can laugh at it, if you like...)

yeah, but once you start the search for the highest wattage bulbs you stop looking for whats important, the brightest bulb!

i wont consider aircraft stuff an option till i see trophy trucks running them, and they dont! probably cause of all the extra BS required to run 24v lights... etc etc....

if your too old to rock the blue stuff, run some diamond white, or even yellow, bright is bright!

yeah, but once you start the search for the highest wattage bulbs you stop looking for whats important, the brightest bulb!

i wont consider aircraft stuff an option till i see trophy trucks running them, and they dont! probably cause of all the extra BS required to run 24v lights... etc etc....

if your too old to rock the blue stuff, run some diamond white, or even yellow, bright is bright!

That's why I said there are 12V aircraft lights out there - you have to look to kitbuilders and ultralights, since they almost invariably run 14V systems (which compares to the 12V automotive system.)

See? Problem solved. You should only need to run 28V lamps if you have a military vehicle (which usually has a 24V system, for some odd reason. I was never very clear on that...)

Back