• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

AC Bracket / Fan Pully Question (odd one too)

EndlessMtnFab

NAXJA Forum User
Really didn't know where to stick this ... so I went with the OE Tech forum.

I have a 97 XJ with 270+ thousand on the ticker. Currently doing a complete ground up on the vehicle and I'm trying to replace appropriate things.

One thing in particular is the bearing that the bracket that holds the A/C pump and the shaft/pulley for the Mechanical fan. I priced it at the dealer and decided there had to be other options. Even with my shop cost ... it was in the high 100s/low 200s to replace the whole thing.

In the mean time .... I was able to press the entire bearing assembly out. It is marked as an NGK bearing, with no numbers anywhere. :flamemad: Has anyone ever attempted to replace this bearing? It's still very smooth, however with age it's a bit "light" now when you turn it. At 270+ I would rather not throw it back in the jeep "as is"

bearing1.jpg

bearing2.jpg

You can see by the picture it's a rather LONG assembly. I have not yet tried to press the shaft out of the bearing housing yet. Couldn't think of a better place to find out if anyone has ever attempted something like this.

Any input from the peanut gallery ?

Thanks in Advance.

Joe
EndlessMtnFab

Measurements - ID/OD/length?

If you're not willing to press out the shaft at the moment, give with a shaft diameter and we'll work with an "assumed" (Gawd, I hate doing that) interference fit of .0005" or so, then I'll get out my bearing dim books and go nuts. I've been kicking around much the same idea for a while anyhow...

Gimme 2 min .... I'll go out and measure it and report back.

I understand what you're saying about making assumptions becuase I don't want to press it out just yet. I'd rather make some general headway FIRST and then if I have to make a new shaft and use some other type of bearing ......

Joe

Last edited:
I just attempted to press the shaft out of the bearing. I *knew* there was a reason I didn't want to do it.:smsoap:

Set it up on the press properly supported. Made contact with the shaft ... 1.5 pumps later the case cracked.:smsoap:

Turns out there was a groove in the shaft that the bearings ride in. It's probably assembled in some funky manner that keeps it all together without breaking. It's a double row bearing (obviously) because of the length. But what I found out was 1 row is rollers and the other ball bearings. Both in self contained cages.

broken.jpg

And the bearing manuf is NSK ... not NGK as stated earlier.

Anyone else have any input here ?

Joe
EndlessMtnFab

Just called NSK ... waiting for a return call.

Looks like it is a specially made bearing per manuf request and not available to the public.:flamemad::mad::banghead:

The engineer will see if there are other possibilities that will work too.

Freaking A ...... no wonder I want to build my next vehicle from scratch using an old title & VIN plate. :gag:

Still hoping anyone else has some clues or can point me in the right direction. :geek:

Joe

Re: SUCCESS !!!!

I think that part number is for the earlier fan pulleys/bearings.

The NSK engineer asked me for the number at the end of the shaft which was R 325.

And that number corresponded to the 665325 number I posted earlier.

Hopefully this will help some other people out in the future too. :)

Joe
EndlessMtnFab

I pounded mine out when I did the fan delete--it's probably sitting in the shed. The bearing was fine pre-removal, but I might've flattened the end of shaft. If its in ok shape and you want it--it's yours.

Offering it to me?

New one will be here on Tuesay for 23 bucks (they got me on shipping). But it looks like 5-90 is collecteing brackets and whatnot for a project of his. Check out the other thread listed a few posts up.

Joe

Back