• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Dana 30 replacement options... what would you do

IslanderOffRoad

NAXJA Forum User
NAXJA Member
My Dana 30 sucks. It leaks, I think I screwed up when I dremeled out the rt tube for the new seal when I went to 1 pc shafts. I've been through 2 seals and both have leaked, leaving a CD sized puddle under the knuckle on occasion. The dana 30 has 4.10's, upgraded 297x shafts (used), an aussie locker, and new unit bearings.

I've found 2 options for replacement.

Local Jeep recycler has a 92 XJ D30 with 4.10's for $300.

Private seller on Craigslist has a 99 XJ D30 with 3.55's for $160 and will likely take $100.

The 92 has 260x shafts, and I could put my shafts in it, but I'm not sure if they're bent or damaged/contributing to the seal leak so I'd rather not use them.

The 99 would need a gear swap obviously to match my rear, so there would be some cost invovled there; I know a few people who know how to do gear setups but I might end up paying just to get it done sooner. I suppose I could pull the current 4.10's from my axle and use them?

Which one would you pick? Can I use my new 89 unit bearings on either of these axles? Can you fit a D30 in the back of an XJ so I can get it home?

I say take the 99' and put the locker and gears into it yourself and keep other the shafts as spares. If you can't do it yourself, pay someone, probably no more than $200 to do it for you.
The 30 should fit the back if you fold the seats down.

Find someone local to you (in your chapter) to do your gears for a 12 pack. Get the 99 and swap the gears over. IIRC the unit bearings changed somwhere in the 90's.

-Alex

I say do the '99 deal.

A D30 will fit in the back of an Xj if you fold the seats down. Just dont let it leak gear oil everywhere.

Find someone local to you (in your chapter) to do your gears for a 12 pack. Get the 99 and swap the gears over. IIRC the unit bearings changed somwhere in the 90's.

-Alex

But if I use the 89 rotors and calipers won't they work on the 99 housing?

I am not 100% but I believe you can swap out the knuckles, Use the '89 knuckles, rotors, calipers..., and use the shafts from the '99 with the larger U-joints. I picked up a '94 HP30 and plan to swap it in with my '01 knuckles, shafts and break system from my LP30.

Josh

I am not 100% but I believe you can swap out the knuckles, Use the '89 knuckles, rotors, calipers..., and use the shafts from the '99 with the larger U-joints. I picked up a '94 HP30 and plan to swap it in with my '01 knuckles, shafts and break system from my LP30.

Josh

what year ball joints would I use then? My 89's are a month old, I'd love to use them.

Thanks for the links guys.

The guy won't go below 145 for the axle.. still a good deal to go with that one? So far he seems like a good guy, his came out so a D44 could go in.

Could I go with the used carrier/gears from my current axle or is it more prudent to buy a new set of gears?

You can re-use the gears. Just pick up a "minor" kit which is an install kit without bearings. I just did this on mine to go to 4.56's for the cost of the gears and 2 minor kits.

Cool. Now to find a socal guy who can do my gears.

Ok

got the axle
got a guy doing my gears

because i'm lazy and I don't feel like doing ball joints or a knuckle swap can I use the 89 unit bearings/rotors/calipers on the 99 knuckles? If not, I'll bite the bullet and order some new ball joints.

My Dana 30 sucks. It leaks, I think I screwed up when I dremeled out the rt tube for the new seal when I went to 1 pc shafts. I've been through 2 seals and both have leaked, leaving a CD sized puddle under the knuckle on occasion. The dana 30 has 4.10's, upgraded 297x shafts (used), an aussie locker, and new unit bearings.

I've found 2 options for replacement.

Local Jeep recycler has a 92 XJ D30 with 4.10's for $300.

Private seller on Craigslist has a 99 XJ D30 with 3.55's for $160 and will likely take $100.

The 92 has 260x shafts, and I could put my shafts in it, but I'm not sure if they're bent or damaged/contributing to the seal leak so I'd rather not use them.

The 99 would need a gear swap obviously to match my rear, so there would be some cost invovled there; I know a few people who know how to do gear setups but I might end up paying just to get it done sooner. I suppose I could pull the current 4.10's from my axle and use them?

Which one would you pick? Can I use my new 89 unit bearings on either of these axles? Can you fit a D30 in the back of an XJ so I can get it home?

I got my 4.10 geared d30 for $125. I would get a new axle though, sounds like you might have a bent housing or tubes if seals keep on leaking.

-Alex

Thanks for the links guys.

The guy won't go below 145 for the axle.. still a good deal to go with that one? So far he seems like a good guy, his came out so a D44 could go in.

Could I go with the used carrier/gears from my current axle or is it more prudent to buy a new set of gears?

Ok

got the axle
got a guy doing my gears

because i'm lazy and I don't feel like doing ball joints or a knuckle swap can I use the 89 unit bearings/rotors/calipers on the 99 knuckles? If not, I'll bite the bullet and order some new ball joints.

You found someone that quick to help you do gears????

You found someone that quick to help you do gears????

3 weeks is fast? I wouldn't say its overly slow... but definitely not surprisingly fast in my opinion.... ?

Back