• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Finally lifted, Rusty's 4.5, Help with details!!

brianglawson

NAXJA Forum User
Well, the Jeep is lifted and I have done a t/c drop for a temp fix on vibes. An Sye is due very soon. but it's fine so far. It is a 98 Auto 4.0 231 cherokee with a Rusty's 4.5 full leaf kit.

I seem to have noises coming from the fron end. Like when i hear themthe first thing i think about is front driveshaft because they only happen in 4wd. They are only minor, but still something minor can become something big ver easily. Any ideas?

I bought the kit used and the leaf spring bushings are wore out. What is the best most reasonable way to replace the bushings. Should i do it myself or take it to a spring shop? I want to use rubber bushings as i dont want the squeaking or the stiffness. Should i take the leafs apart and respray them in that teflon paint, you know, just to give em a good refreshening? Also, what are the little plastic discs in between the leaf springs?

When I flex te Jeep, in extreme conditions, like moving slowly ever so often i get the sound of a spring building tension and springing loose. I feel like the coils might be getting caught on the bumpstops. Is that a common thing?

The jeep sits lower on the driver side than the passenger. It's not to noticable but i notice it and i can feel it when Im leaning on a crooked path. I intended on putting another spring isolator to level it out, but would switching which side the coils are on possibly have anything to do with it? I might try that today if it's still warm when i get out of classes.

I know it sounds like a lot, but all in all im very pleased. I love my lift and im addicted. I already want more:):)

here are a few pics
CapeHatterasFall08064.jpg

CapeHatterasFall08086.jpg

the lean on the passanger side almost seems typical im running the re 4.5 and mine does the same thing i have a fullsize spair on that side tho i took it out it seemed to have moved a tad bit up
nice xj btw i love the black moab rubicon rims

16x8 Tj MOABS 265/70/16 RT-s Wranglers

My Drivers side is the low side, its not by much, i can tell it when im driving and it drives me crazy!!! lol

I've got the same lift, its about a half inch shorter on the passenger side, so I just pile all the heavy stuff on the drivers side. Don't worry about it.

That looks great

You can replace the spring bushings yourself without removing them. Here's how.

1. Raise the rear of the vehicle enough to take the weight off the springs.
2. Unbolt the rear of the spring on both sides, and raise the vihicle some more until the bushing drops down below the shackle.
3. Take two two flat chisels or small wedges and drive them into the opening of the bushing eye. This will open the eye.
4. Spray with PB Blaster or equivalent.
5. You should be able to tap the bushing out and replace. You might coat the outer metal part of the bushing with antisieze to make going back in a bit easier.

You should be able to buy replacements from Rusty's

Last edited:
Love the rims, what did you paint them with? My RE kit sits low on the pass. side, drives me crazy too but it wont affect anything. Bushings are easily replaceable, dont take it to a shop.

i wonder why mine leans to the driver's side????? are the springs side specific???

anywho, with the bushings, i keep hearing about how everyone's rusty's leaf spring bushings wear out so fast, is there an aftermarket alternative rubber bushing, or could i go to a spring shop to get a different manufacture bushing to use?? like getting the measurements from rustys or someone who measured??

and thanks for the compliments! I love how it looks, I plan on getting shackles and coil spacers for just a little bit more lift.

would it be bad if i threw another coil spring isolater on the driver side to bring it level?

oh yea, MG2000xj the wheels were sprayed with Sherwin Williams watercolor automotive paint and bked in a blowtherm paintbooth... my dad is the contractor for the greensboro auto auction, in other words he is in charge of all the body shop equipment, sales and installs.. yadda yadda.. so i can get stuff done better than factory for cheap!!!!

also i went outside and looked today, my driver side front spring doesnt seem to want to seat properly at the top of the shock tower, this is where it binds on the bumpstops, please any ieas would help tremendously... do these things have a specific rotation to set at?

few snaps from this weekend, not fully flexed, but i think she is sitty perty

MountainsNovember12008007.jpg

MountainsNovember12008008.jpg

Try swapping the springs around. I think the drivers side is heavier or it may have something to do with your springs seated. Since i'm not there and can't tell you either are for sure your just going to have to do what feels right. Sorry I can't really help but hell it looks like an awesome ride!

BPE for the front shocks? Granted from what your describing it doesnt sound right...but the front bar pins (the pins in the shocks that mount them on the axle) are known to make funny bump type noises when driving. However, that should be a regular occurance...not just in 4wd.

Might be worth a shot though, worst case you're out $40 and have an extra ~inch of down travel.

~Scott

the front shocks dont have much slack in them....

the spring swapping is what i might try but ill have todisconnect my CA, which means pay for a new alignment..lol

bump, neeed help with this bumpstop..lol

you shouldnt have to take out your control arms to remove the spring. Just disco your swaybar, jack up one side, drop the other side and you should be able to pry the coil over the coil bucklet on the axle. Also, when seated, the bottom of the coil sits in a little grove. You may have to spin it to get the end of the spring to sit in there right,

I just did the Rough Country 3 inch and I had to use coil spring compressors to get the coils in.

Mine also leans, but to the drivers side. I just slid my tools to the pass side and it leveled out.

Very nice looking Jeep!

mine leans to the driver side too!!..lol

2000bluexj, i jacked the jeep up yesterday and completely let the front suspension droop all the way and culdnt seem to get the coils out, lol i put them in, i dunno whats up, i think i was just being tired and lazy so there is a little notch showing the rotation, does anyone hve a picture of this????

2000bluexj: Thanks man, I got my driver spring rotated to the little dimple and it actually corrected the bumpstop bind, and the lower height!!!

the bumpstop is still pretty close, but it doesnt catch, Control arm drop brackets should fix it when i gget around to them, my control arms are only a half inch or so longer than stock, so they should work fine with the drop brackets as i plan to add a one inch spacer up front and shackles in the back.

im pretty happy though..lol

my spring retainer clamps have stripped(the bolt obviously) what should i do, just tap it for a bigger bolt?

Back