• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Ubolt question?

Blaine B.

NAXJA Forum User
I'm going to get some ubolts made by a local International truck shop.

I know the diameter of my 8.25 is 3".

I believe the size of the ubolts should be 9/16". Am I right?

What length of Ubolt should I go with? I have 3" lift packs in currently but am going to add another leaf to the packs as well as a shim..so I'm not sure what length I should get. Well actually I'm not even sure what the stock length is, and if I could find that out I could just ask for a few inches longer I suppose.

Let me know if you know anything :)

That's the problem, my Jeep is at the bodyshop lot (been sitting there for a week) waiting on an estimate because some chick hit my XJ when it was parked on the street more than 2 weeks ago (refer to my "bent D30 axle housing" post from around that time)

So yeah I can't measure unfortunately. I just cant wait to bring her home so I can start the repairs myself. Although the Ubolts don't have to do with anything that was damaged, I need them anyway.

IIRC they're about 6-6.5" long from the bottom of the bend to the tip where the tops.

Use 9/16 U-bolts for sure. Stock they are 1/2". The 9/16" bolts are a little bit of a hassle to get through the spring pad, but it's a worthwhile upgrade. I have 2 1/2" springs & a 1" block on a D44 & I think I had 9" bolts made up for my rig.

IIRC they're about 6-6.5" long from the bottom of the bend to the tip where the tops.

sounds about right. get them super long and you can always cut them later, as long as there are enough threads to tighten on...

So what would you say the total length of the metal would be? About a foot?

At this shop the Ubolts are straight and then they bend them to the correct diameter for the customer.

I'll have to browse around but at least I'll know to go with 9/16".

I just measured mine & I remembered correctly, they are 9" long. You can't cut custom U-bolts down, they only have 4" of thread & the threads are rolled, not cut, so you can't use a die to extend the threaded length. Cheapo auto parts store U-bolts have threads that go all the way down the shank. You can cut them down. Measure the thickness of your spring pack & work from that. It sounds like you are dealing with the right place, custom bolts are the best way to go.

i meant cut the extra length of the bolt off, not cut more threads with a die, FWIW.

also, my u-bolts are 1/2-20 which is bigger than stock. that being said, i don't remember what stock is. 1/2-20 is plenty large though.

Back