• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

advice needed on shocks please

Cisco Kid

NAXJA Forum User
Alright guys. I've got a 98 XJ that the previous owner installed a Superlift 2-1/2" lift as well as Superlift shocks (approx. 1 year ago). If it matters, this Jeep is my daily driver and does not get wheeled so I really don't want to dump a bunch of money in it. Two days ago I discovered that one of the rear shocks is leaking oil. In light of that, today I placed calls to several vendors and no one has that particular Superlift shock in stock and it would cost me quite a bit on top of the $35 or so to get it shipped to me. What do you guys recommend that I do? Should I buy just one shock to replace the leaker? Or possibly 2 to replace both in the rear? Or just buy a full set of 4 and be done with it.

Also if you could provide me with any info on where to purchase from that would be helpful as well. Thanks. :patriot:

Jeff

I always replace the two rears together, same with the two fronts. That way there's always even handling. It's not important for the front and rears to match. In a perfect world the rears would probably be softer anyway since the front is heavier.

Any old shock that fits is probably fine, if you're doing it on the cheap. I don't think you even necessarily need longer than stock shocks with a 2.5" lift. Stockers might limit your droop a little, but since you aren't wheeling, you shouldn't care. You can also get a bar-pin eliminator kit which will lower the upper shock mount a bit.

Last edited:
take one off and take it to your local auto parts store (i suggest NAPA, but thats just because i work there :D). they should be able to take measurements off your old shock and look them up in a book by size. for something as mild as a 2.5 lift you should have no problem finding shocks that would fit.

and, as n1ywb suggested, replace both at the same time to make sure they match up well.

good luck.

i would contact performanceoffroadcenter.com and just order PORC shocks, they're only $19.99 per shock, and shipping from GA to MO should be pretty cheap. superlift shocks are built by tenneco automotive, nothing special really. these shocks would be on par with the ones they're replacing.

i would contact performanceoffroadcenter.com and just order PORC shocks, they're only $19.99 per shock, and shipping from GA to MO should be pretty cheap. superlift shocks are built by tenneco automotive, nothing special really. these shocks would be on par with the ones they're replacing.

You don't happen to know any part #'s on those shocks do you? I've been looking at their website and haven't seen anything priced under $32.99.

Why replace it at all?
If you want to save money, leave it alone. One on my pickup is leaking but it doesn't seem to handle any different.
I did however buy two Rough Country shocks for my 1991 XJ, do you want the old ones?

Back