• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Best way to mount spare to roof rack?

OK, well I finally got a spare tire, now all I need is a wheel and some mounting hardware to put it up on the rack. I bought my con-ferr used and it didn't have any mounting hardware for a spare tire, and the local 4wd place wants to charge me $200+ just to install the hardware/mount the tire. I think that seems like entirely too much money, but I wanted to ask on here if that sounds like a fair amount or if I should look at other options? My neighbour suggested I should drill a hole in one of the rails on the floor of the rack and get a long bolt from Lowe's and mount it that way, and that's sounding like a better alternative b/c I sure as hell am not gonna pay someone $200 to mount a damn tire--I'll figure out a way to do it myself for that amount of money, or I'll just leave it in the trunk.

What do you all suggest?

:read: There currently is a multipage thread on this subject started by 98XJsport. Check it out, it has every conceivable opinion on the subject as well as a variety of ways to do it.

Yup I saw it and have read thru it, however, it is referring to mounting using the factory cross rails, whereas I have removed mine to fit the rack, which I am hoping is a lot stronger.

You appear set on roof mounting that spare, but you may just want to heft that tire just for grins before you commit yourself.

Imagine yourself in some god forsaken place with a ruined tire. Now, imagine wrestling that tire off the rack, loosening the lug nuts, lifting the Jeep on a jack, changing that tire, and lofting the bad one back on the roof.

Sounds exhausting to me.

Now consider that that tire on the roof will easily cost you 1-2 MPG.

If you really want to get it out of the trunk, I'd get a rear tire carrier.

Good luck with whatever you decide on.

Roof mount equals higher center of gravity... which equals bad if you are doing any off-roading that will put you at extreme angles. Try an inside mount in the factory position. There are threads with moving the rear seat into a more upright position if the spare is larger than 32 inches.

Good luck!!

And remember, the spare is heavy even when on a rear mounted rack or mounted inside, much less on the roof!!:D

Back