• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

lowbeams dont work

ROBZ95Xj

NAXJA Forum User
1995 XJ

lowbeams dont work but highbeams work and parking lights work, lso tail lights dont work but brake lights do, i replaced headlight switch and headlights and still no low beams or tail lights, any ideas

Last edited:
2 possibilities: either the multifunction switch in the steering column, or the front clip multi-way connector between the fender and the airbox.

Have you tried to see if the lights work with the steering wheel tilted all the way up. My 96 started this about a year ago. Say the steering wheel has 6 different positions, well my low beams only work when the wheel is in one of the top three. You can move it down one more and the lights will go off. I can flash my lights at you by just moving tilt wheel up and down. I have yet to figure out why and just got used to it. Hope you figure it out.

i check those out tomorow, this jeep has been sitting for the past 2 years, hasnt even ran since nov of last year

Bulbs are good right? I had a guy about a year ago claiming he had a bad headlight switch and asked if I could help install the new one. I walked out to his car with a meter and found 12 volts at the headlight. Two burnt bulbs.

The "two bad bulbs" scenario is more common than you'd think. You don't always notice one bad one, keep driving, and suddenly the other one blows, and you're in the dark.

Even if it turns out to be two bad bulbs, check that bulkhead connector Chixjeff mentioned. It's a bad place for corrosion, and it's a good idea to clean it up and grease it from time to time.

just put 2 new bulbs in the tail lights and all lights work now.

Back