• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

44 vs. 8.8

Whatever you can get.

D44
+Cheaper because no fab work
+No messing with brakes or E brake stuff
+ non C-clip
-Drum brakes 8.8 has discs
- 2.75" axle tubes (bitch to find ubolts for)

+slightly bigger ( 3.25")
+disc brakes stock
-requires rewelding spring pearches
-C-clip axle

To be honest it really depends on what you want to build. Ive calculated it out. if you did a rear disc conversion on a 44 and added chromoly shafts and did chromoly shafts on an 8.8 you should be pretty close to the same cost. I did a 44 because it was availiable and cheap and I don't have access to welding equipment. If I had I probably would have gone 8.8 because I had 4.10s at the time and wouldn't have had to regear.

I'm leaning toward the 44 for the same reason. No fab sounds good. I can do disc conversion later. Eventually I plan on running 35s or 37s so I want strength. My 27 spline 8.25 has been howling for years so I don't want to build it up.

yep, pretty much. Why fab when you could bolt up and get similar strength. Plus I would have to buy a set of spacers and I don't have a welder. I think I'll go for the 44.

you wouldnt have to buy a set of spacers for the rear. many use the axle without spacers and have no issues.

If you can find a Xj D44 cheap go with that.

I couldnt find a D44 cheap, So I went 8.8 b/c I found it cheap, it had disc, plus 31 spline.

Spacers are not needed, I cant even tell.

I went 8.8 cause it had 4.10s and a LS.

The fab work is very minimal and not hard at all and there is no need for spacers it does just fine.

But either one should work out. Like some said, most base the choice on availability.

and if your going to 37s i would say dont waste your time with an 8.8. Youll chew up that ring gear.

Do it once and do it right.

I went with a 97 Explorer 8.8 and couldnt be happier with it after 3 years of no problems. The braking power is worth every penny. I've been running 35x12.5's on this axle with an ARB and 4.56's for 3 years and no problems at all. Only down side I have seen, is the stock diff cover is a poor design and easy to roll the lip on a rock. I wanst hard to get the e-brake hooked up either. Just need ZJ e-brake cable for pass side? (I have to check on that)

Also, moving the spring perches isnt the only fab. You are building this axle for strength so then you have to weld full circle around both sides of the pumpkin or else your center section will spin. The C-clips are not so much of a factor unless your pre-running at 90+ around corners.

I also needed to get spacers, I didnt even know about that problem until I went to bolt up my new wheel set with a larger back spacing. My tires pressed against the leaf springs so much that they couldnt even spin.

If going for an 8.8, make sure you get the model that has 31 spline axles, I cant remember what years it is now but there are models that have inferior axles. I live in NY and spent several weeks looking for a stock 44 to bolt up but couldnt find one for a resonable price. There are an abundance of 8.8's by me.

put a ford 9" in. If you are going with the argument that welding and cutting is not a problem to go for the 9. They can be had in any number of sizes, mine is 62"wms, and have great aftermarket support. Beefier axle too. In my area they were easier to find as well. Most early F100s or 1st gen broncos will hive a noarrow one to fit an xj reasonably well.

I'll have to look around for it but there is a chart thats shows the different strength comparisons for different axles.
The D44 has it's place but surprising enough to me, the 8.8 was right up there with a D60 in rotational (torque) strength.

I went with the 8.8 because I didn't want a D44 FWIW.

Weld the tubes, throw in a detroit, and you have yourself a very beefy axle, c-clips or not.

I did the 44 on my xj but will do the 8.8 on my prerunner and the 8.8 I can find many spare parts for while the xj44 is rare and if I found one I would sell it before I took the extra parts..

I would do this...
get a disc 8.8 no lsd pull one for $100 around here
do a lock right $300 around
buy the ruff stuff install kit $120(if you cant weld find a nice wheeler/welder in your chapter)
get a c-clip elim $100-150 a guess
and be in it as much as some(most) xj44s

I've got an 8.8 in mine and like it a lot!! Its a lot stronger than a 44 and can be had for cheap.. the ring gear, pinion, and bearings are bigger in a 8.8 also. Here is some info about the 8.8 and its strength compared to other axles...

The axle shaft strength tested by Warn Ind:
F8.8= 6,500 (lb. ft.)
D44= 4,600-5,000 (lb. ft.)
D35C= 4,000-4,300 (lb. ft.)
-------------------------------
COT: Continuous output torque rating
MOT: Maximum output torque rating

(Numbers from January edition of Fourwheeler, page 60.)
Dana 35 rear axle COT: 870 MOT: 3480
Dana 44 rear axle COT: 1100 MOT: 4460
Ford 8.8 28spline COT: 1250 MOT: 4600
Ford 8.8 31spline COT: 1360 MOT: 5100
Dana60 semifloat COT: 1500 MOT: 5500]

Some write ups
http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=955253&highlight=ford+8.8+axle+build+up

http://www.jedi.com/obiwan/jeep/ford88.html

Hope this helps...

wow I might just do an 8.8 and lose my xj44 those numbers are sick

Not to jump on the D44 wagon, but if you're planning on throwing money at either axle (ARBs, alloy shafts, etc) remember that there are no diameter upgrades for the 8.8 AFAIK.

You can get 30, 33, or even 35 spline alloys and ARBs for the 44. Those torque numbers are for stock shafts I'm assuming?

Someone correct me if I'm speaking out of my ***

Last edited:
MoparManiac said:
Not to jump on the D44 wagon, but if you're planning on throwing money at either axle (ARBs, alloy shafts, etc) remember that there are no diameter upgrades for the 8.8 AFAIK.

You can get 30, 33, or even 35 spline alloys and ARBs for the 44. Those torque numbers are for stock shafts I'm assuming?

FYI, you can actually get 8.8 axles with 33 and 35 spline shafts, they are hard to find though...

Yes those torque numbers are for stock shafts.

here is the link I took those numbers from, it also mentions the bigger spline shafts and where to find them....Read up bitches!!:cheers:

http://www.jeepsunlimited.com/forums/showthread.php?t=674123

Back