• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

44 vs. 8.8

MoparManiac said:
Not to jump on the D44 wagon, but if you're planning on throwing money at either axle (ARBs, alloy shafts, etc) remember that there are no diameter upgrades for the 8.8 AFAIK.

You can get a super 8.8 kit, and im pretty sure this has larger shafts.

-Alex

All the Super 8.8 kits I've seen are stock 31-spline alloys.

Can you get exploder length 33 and 35 spline alloy shafts off the shelf? Or are they just custom cut? Who makes the carrier/locker for them?

MoparManiac said:
Can you get exploder length 33 and 35 spline alloy shafts off the shelf? Or are they just custom cut? Who makes the carrier/locker for them?

Now that I dont know. I'm assuming you can?? but I dont know for sure. I would think that if you were to buy a locker that replaces the stock carrier you could get 33 and 35 spline in them....

I think that 33 and 35 spline are overkill. I've never heard of someone snaping a 31 spline shaft in an 8.8. I think anything bigger than a 31, you might as well go for a 14 bolt or a Dana 60??:dunno:

Keil

I know someone that's twisting alloy D44 30 spline shafts and moving to 35 spline alloys.

How long have people been using the 8.8s for? Maybe we just haven't heard of anyone snapping them yet?

I'm not trying to hate on the axle (despite my username :D) I'm just trying to play devils advocate.

MoparManiac said:
I know someone that's twisting alloy D44 30 spline shafts and moving to 35 spline alloys.

How long have people been using the 8.8s for? Maybe we just haven't heard of anyone snapping them yet?

I'm not trying to hate on the axle (despite my username :D) I'm just trying to play devils advocate.

I've got an 8.8 with a super 88 kit in it. On one of my many phone calls to Superior I was talking with the guy who tested the first kit made, It was severly abused for a year(iirc) before they began selling the kits. For one of the tests he got his wrangler with 35 inch tires and a locker in the back rolling backwards down a hill then threw it into gear, the thing did a wheelie and the axle is still being punished on a regular basis. The one thing I have to say about the Super88 is that if you are going to run an alloy rim you need to ask them for longer lug studs.

~Alex

Ive been running my 8.8 in a wrangler for about 3 years with 36'' Iroks and 4.56 gears and factory l/S and have yet to have any problems.
the only thing with the 8.8 is to make sure you weld the tube to the housing. As to how I drive I've broke the rear output shaft on a Tom Woods SYE.

the local pick and pull around me has 8.8's for $75! Tons of exploders to choose from. I know where I'm heading on Saturday! Shoot me a pm if anyone is in the local South Jersey area and I will let you know there inventory.

I appreciate all the info. The 8.8 sounds like the way. Is there a way to tell the spline count w/o pulling it apart. I guess it will bolt up to the stock xj driveshaft? Anyone know what years are the gooduns?

dfete91 said:
I appreciate all the info. The 8.8 sounds like the way. Is there a way to tell the spline count w/o pulling it apart. I guess it will bolt up to the stock xj driveshaft? Anyone know what years are the gooduns?

AlabamaDan said:
So can you just pull a Ford 8.8 out from under any Explorer or are there things to look for?

You guys dont read to well do you??:D

EVERYTHING YOU NEED TO KNOW IS HERE. click the link, but for the people who can't click the mouse I'll post some of the answers...:moon: :D :D :D

http://www.jeepsunlimited.com/forums/showthread.php?t=674123
http://www.jedi.com/obiwan/jeep/ford88.html
http://www.bc4x4.com/tech/2003/xj88/

What year ford explorers do I look for as a donor for 31 spline and disc brakes? To get rear disc brakes and 31-spline axle, you need to look for a 1995 to 2001 Explorer or Mountaineer. Earlier years use drum brakes and may be 28-spline. Different vehicles may have the wrong bolt pattern, width, spline count, or brakes. A 2-door Sport Explorer may be a donor past the 2001 cut off. Also, Explorer SportTracs with production dates of August 19, 2002 through June 29, 2005 are equipped with 31-spline axles and rear disc brakes and are exactly what was in the previously listed 95-2001 Explorer. Before Aug 19, 2002, the Sport Tracs were equipped with the smaller 28-spline 8.8 axle shafts and used drum brakes. After June 29, 2005, Sport Tracs were produced with an Independent rear as found on 2002 regular Explorers.

We took the Explorer's drive shaft, just in case the flange-to-yoke adapter would work on the Cherokee. As it turned out, it could.

Keil

so is it impossible to find a disc 28 spline? I am just curious if that is the only tell all if you find one whether its 28 or 31.

AlabamaDan said:
Is limited slip something you'd rather have? Sorry for all the dumb questions, but diffs are something I know nothing about.
not really they make it a pita to put a cheap locker in later

Back