• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Concerned about dark tranny fluid

Wow

NAXJA Forum User
I've got a '96 AW4 with about 218,000 miles on it. It still shifts and does everything it's supposed to as good as a new one. The problem is, I keep draining the fluid and it keeps coming out nearly black!

For the last 30,000 miles or so I have drained the pan every 6k. In the last 2000 miles I have drained and refilled the pan 4 seperate times. It STILL comes out very very very dark.

I'm using Chevron Dexron III, the same as I always have. I also know that the previous owner took very good care of it and had the tranny flushed about every 50k. I have not dropped the pan, but I really don't want to if there's only a screen type filter in there.

Anyone have any idea why my fluid is always so dark? It looks close to used motor oil. I never tow anything, and my driving is always short trips - so the transmission *should* not be overheating for any reason.

Both of my 96's and my 94 XJ's keep dark tranny fluid, 2 have 200k and the other has 100k. My 90 and 00 stay red, one with 100k and the other with 170k. I really don't know why some trannys just stay dirty inside.

All of my XJ's have coolers and temp gauges, non run hot. I tow about 5k a year with the 90 and no towing at all with the others(the RENIX tows stronger than the HO's do). Like you, all of them shift and perform flawlessly. I tried a remote filter on my 96 trail rig and it caused me issues so I had to take it off but it did not help clear the fluid any.

xjtrailrider said:
I tried a remote filter on my 96 trail rig and it caused me issues so I had to take it off but it did not help clear the fluid any.

Just curious, what issues did you have? I was thinking about installing maybe a big 2 quart remote filter.

Wow said:
Just curious, what issues did you have? I was thinking about installing maybe a big 2 quart remote filter.

I started loosing fluid out the front seal on the pump, I also found the tranny vent to be clogged at the same time. I fixed the vent and removed the filter to be safe. I guess I dodged the bullet, its not leaking(actually it was pouring out!) now, seems to be fine.

Back