• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Crown Valve Cover Review/Install

BIGSLVRXJ

NAXJA Forum User
Review of Crown 4.0 Litre Valve Cover
By: Collin McCormick

Initial Impressions-
I was very impressed by the overall looks and feel of the valve cover. It has very classic looks as far as a 4.0L valve cover. It is shaped more like the earlier aluminum ones. The powder coat seems to be quite durable as it was opened and photographed when I bought it but still “new to me”. The coating still retained a like new finish through two times of unpackaging and picture taking.

Installation-
I got a bag of goodies with the cover. When I say goodies I mean “new hardware” and an oil cap. This hardware consisted of some bolts and sleeves. Some were missing and the bolts weren’t the correct size or thread for the 4.0L head. I don’t know if the sleeves were meant to expand somehow, but it seemed like a very chintzy system altogether. I reused stock hardware with no adverse effects. The oil cap that came with it and I’ve heard that comes with all of these covers is absolute garbage. It appears that the rubber is atleast 100 years old and well past its prime :D. I rushed off to the parts store and got this Mr. Gasket oil cap with a part number of 9815. The cover did include the reusable Perma Dry gasket which is stock on 96+ 4.0Ls. The one other thing worth mentioning is the fact that I had to get a new nut for the ground strap that runs from the back of the head to the firewall. The fixed washer or flange on the nut interfered with the cover seating completely. Here is a picture of the problem issues and the new oil cap package.

CrownValveCoverAssociatedParts.jpg

Overall Impressions-
I’m very happy with this cover. It eliminated my leaks thanks to the new gasket and not having the grommets around the holes to leak from. It looks fantastic and with the Mr. Gasket oil cap it adds some “bling” to the engine bay. Even with the small modifications it takes to make the cover “up to snuff” it is worth it in the end; I would highly recommend it to any 4.0L owner.
Here are some finished shots of the cover...let me know what you guys think.

Front.jpg

Side.jpg

:rice:

J/K-- Looks good. I've been wanting that valve cover for a while, but I keep spending my $$$ on other stuff.

Very nice, what did ya pay for that if you don't mind? That nice solid flange should help eliminate leakage, so it's not just bling, it's functional bling!

Did it come with the valve grommets?

I know 4wd and quadratec sells them for $99, did you find a better deal? The leakage help malkes it worth it to me. I use sealent instead of the gasket but the stock cover still makes it a PITA.

I'll try to answer all questions with one post. I got lucky and scored it on eBay for $52 shipped to my door. It was marked as "used" but only to be photographed, it had never been installed. It came with the hardware, an oil cap, and the grommets that fit in the CCV holes. I found my Mr. Gasket oil cap at O'Reilly auto parts. Starboard, I'm not sure if you have O'Reilly's near you but Advance/Kragen/Checker usually carries the same parts lines.

Back