• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Ticking/Clicking Under Load

jeepsrock

NAXJA Forum User
Over the past few months i have noticed that my 4.0 has started to make a clicking/ticking noise under load. I have always remembered the engine to be very loud in general, especially when cold. This new noise is different, it only occurs when i am in gear and driving. If i put the jeep in neutral and rev the engine the noise doesn't occur, only when in gear (drive).
At first i though it could have been loose flex plate bolts or a cracked exhaust manifold, but i checked both. When i am driving it sounds like its coming from the lower driver side of the engine area.
Over the last few months it has been getting worse or maybe its my imagination.
What else can it be ? Is their anything i should try to do or check.

Thanks
Pete

It sounds like you are describing the same exact problem i had, a loose timing chain. I dont really know what to tell you as far as testing it to see if it is the t chain or not. but that would be the first thing i would check. if that is what it is then your gonna have to get in there and replace it. a new chain with crank and cam sprocks is about 40 bucks.

I guess something i should that i have observed that might make tracing this easier is that this only seems to happen when i am on the accelerator. Even if i am in drive and am coasting there is no noise..only when in gear and pushing the accelerator.

Any other comments, suggestions ?

Thanks
Pete

I don’t think it’s your timing chain. From my experience with timing chains, two 2.5’s and one 4.0, they would only make a rattling noise without a load, at a steady RPM or deceleration. That’s when the chain had some slack to slap around in there.

So here is what i have done in the past few days to try to remedy this problem so far.
1. Marvel Oil ( Been in there for 300+ Miles) in crankcase.
2. Have ran almost one full tank of 91 fuel (in case it was a knock/ping prob).

Something i noticed that maybe important is that it seems the ticking is present regardless of weather the jeep is cold or warm. At idle i originally thought it wasn't present, but then upon listening closely its there but at a lower frequency. Its much worse with load... I will check the exaust again this weekend but is their other items..?

Thanks guys for your input,
Pete

This weekend i examined the manifold with the jeep running and with it off. I found nothing that looked like a crack of any kind. Its worth mentioning that my manifold was replaced almost a yr ago with the APN one.
In addition to looking at the manifold, i was able to look at the UJoints and they all seemed just fine.
I did idle the engine while i was under it and it seems the sound (ticking ) is coming from the underside of the engine.
Maybe i should SeaFoam the engine as my next move ? Any suggestions or additional ideas ?

Thanks
Pete

Jeeps seem to be real bad about echoing noises back and forth, every noise I have had has sounded like it was coming from everywhere at the same time. Didn't matter if it was a bad U-joint, or sticking lifter, loose banking exhaust pipe or a loose piece of sheetmetal or plastic.

What sounded like a dying rear end, turned out to be a dying front drive shaft u-joint. Sticking lifter(s) sounded like a rod knock bearing problem.

Exhaust system tied down improperly sounded like an internal transmission knocking problem. The exhaust was tied improperly to the tranny case by the PO or prior exhaust cat installer.

Have you checked for a broken motormount? I had a similar ticking and when I had a broken motormount replaced the ticking stopped. I can only assume the engine was cocked sideways a little bit and caused the noise to come from the flexplate area. This noise started over a year earlier when I had the AW4 replaced in a local shop.

Loose flex-plate bolts?

It also could be engine knock. The next time you are really low on gas, put a few gallons of premium (only premium) in and see if that gets rid of the noise. If it does, fill the tank the rest of the way with your usual grade of gas and search NAXJA for causes of knock or detonation (it sounds worse than it is).

you could try taking the oil fill c ap off adn listening for the ticking noise, also remove the belts, and see if it goes away that w ould let u know if it was one the pulleys or tensioners

jeepsrock said:
Bump, anyone listen to the clip ?
Ideas ?

Pete

I could not get to it with out registering and giving up info on fill in the blank questionair so I blew off trying to listen to it. How about emailing me the file? Or find a more friendly place to post it.

Ecomike said:
I could not get to it with out registering and giving up info on fill in the blank questionair so I blew off trying to listen to it. How about emailing me the file? Or find a more friendly place to post it.

I don't think you have to register. I didn't anyway. It doesn't play automatically, you download it first. Maybe you knew that.

You don't have to register anything, you click download and either save or open the file using your browser.
Its small .25MB

Whomever who can listen to it, please do.
Pete

Today i checked for loose flex plate bolts and they were extremely tight. The ticking is pretty loud now and its very frustrating as i cant find the source of the sound but otherwise the jeep runs great...

Additional Suggestions ??

Thanks,
Pete

Back