• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Look what I got today

Dave41079

NAXJA Forum User
Went by a local driveline shop to see about getting a 3103-27CV to do an SYE conversion like on gojeep's site. Well, I was BSing around with the guy and told him what I was going to be doing with it and he said he could order it. As we were talking I mentioned that it also fit a TH350 transmission. He told me to wait a minute and stepped in the back and came out with this.

SYE001.jpg

SYE002.jpg

SYE003.jpg

Picked it up for $35. He had a guy bring it in the week before that was swapping something out on a TH350. I need to double check to make sure the splines are right, but the cradle is definitely for a 1310 and the bolt holes line up with my spare front DS. Now I need a bolt and a tap, and a little work, and I'll be done. SYE w/ junkyard shaft for under $50, I'm all in.

that's got what...27 splines? I think our TCs are 23 spline, right?

Still a pretty cool find...

To my knowledge, the transfer case output shaft is 27 spline. The input shaft is 21 for the older, and 23 for the newer. I'm going to slide my driveshaft out this evening and see what's going on.

Ah, ok, well cool then :D

i have 2 of those out in the yard from dads old 66 and 78 trucks. let us know if it works.

It will be sloppy, if not right away it will be shortly. I ran a longer rear slip yoke on my transfercase with 5 inchs of lift and it sucked, there is just to much up an down force when the slip joint tries to push in and out of the transfercase. I also went from a dana35 to a dana44 at the same time so my driveshaft was the right length due to the bigger axle. Just buy a SYE they are under $200.

jeepboy381 said:
It will be sloppy, if not right away it will be shortly. I ran a longer rear slip yoke on my transfercase with 5 inchs of lift and it sucked, there is just to much up an down force when the slip joint tries to push in and out of the transfercase. I also went from a dana35 to a dana44 at the same time so my driveshaft was the right length due to the bigger axle. Just buy a SYE they are under $200.

Maybe you didn't notice, or maybe I wasn't clear. This won't be a slip joint, and there won't be any in and out. It will be an SYE and it will use a front driveshaft with it. Here is the link I referenced in the first post.

http://www.go.jeep-xj.info/HowtoSYEconversion.htm

I'm going to get under there in a little while and see if it slides onto the output shaft. I'll have an answer up tonight as to whether this will work or not for sure.

And here it is folks. A CV yoke off of a TH350 transmission WILL fit on the NP231(and I'm guessing NP242) transfer cases. Make sure if you get one it is a CV yoke and not a u-bolt style yoke as the hole spacing is different. I should be able to cut about 2" off of my output shaft and cut the yoke down to make it a little shorter. I am going to leave about an inch and a half of spline contact area which should be plenty. I'll be sure to post pictures when I install it all.

SYE005.jpg

SYE004.jpg

great job man. going to dig out mine from the boxes. just have to drill a hole thru it

what year did it come off of? do you know?

Last edited:
I have no idea what it came off of, like I said he just had it sitting on a shelf from some work he did the week prior. It will work perfect though. If I ever find out specific vehicles it comes off of, I'll post it up.

Dave41079 said:
Maybe you didn't notice, or maybe I wasn't clear. This won't be a slip joint, and there won't be any in and out. It will be an SYE and it will use a front driveshaft with it. Here is the link I referenced in the first post.

http://www.go.jeep-xj.info/HowtoSYEconversion.htm

I'm going to get under there in a little while and see if it slides onto the output shaft. I'll have an answer up tonight as to whether this will work or not for sure.
Oh okay that makes more sence.

Today in the news... Overly zealous, and cheap, off roader killed while using his Jeep's motor as a lathe.

Looks like it will work, however isn't the front drive shaft designed to take much less torque than the rear? Maybe it will still be enough. Good luck with it though.

I've been using one of these slip yokes for a couple of years now. I put a 3.5" lift on my MJ and needed about another inch on the driveshaft. These will fit the AW4 output shafts, and the NP 231 and 242 t-cases, and was a cheap way out. Driveline angles are correct w. zero vibes (and being it's a LWB MJ helps too).

2de2_1.JPG

They are on Fleabay here:

http://tinyurl.com/4g6aoo

userbmx1315 said:
any updates on this yet? would like to know how it is working out before i buy one

No updates yet. I'm probably not going to put it on until I am ready to swap in my 8.8, then just do it all at once. That should be in the next couple weeks. I see no problems with it working though.

Mudderoy said:
Today in the news... Overly zealous, and cheap, off roader killed while using his Jeep's motor as a lathe.

Looks like it will work, however isn't the front drive shaft designed to take much less torque than the rear? Maybe it will still be enough. Good luck with it though.

Many people use front driveshafts, and they are plenty strong for use in the rear. The u-joints will fail long before the shaft ever will.

comanche91 said:
I've been using one of these slip yokes for a couple of years now. I put a 3.5" lift on my MJ and needed about another inch on the driveshaft. These will fit the AW4 output shafts, and the NP 231 and 242 t-cases, and was a cheap way out. Driveline angles are correct w. zero vibes (and being it's a LWB MJ helps too).

An SYE is a much better option no matter how you look at it. This also allows the front and rear driveshafts to be swappable so you always have a trail spare. If I can do it for the same price as a YJ slip yoke, then why not?

Back