• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Track bar installation?

megabyte5689

NAXJA Forum User
I ran into another problem in my track bar changeout, the first trackbar that I got when I went to the parts store was too short when lined up with the old one. The 2nd one is the same length but the problem is I can get one side lined up good but the other side won't go in all the way. What do I need to do to get this fixed right?

Would it not fit if the auto parts store pulled a 2X4 track bar instead of a 4X4 bar? I'm having trouble in getting the frame side in.

Moving the steering wheel might do it. Another way is to jack up a corner of the Jeep by the bumper. Use a Hi-Lift jack or a floor jack with a block of wood between the jack and the bumper. Raise the corner until the holes line up at the axle. You will have to experiment to see which raised corner brings the holes in to alignment. Works great...I just got done with my front axle swap and had the same issue. Good luck.

I just saw that you attached the axle end first. My suggestion above will probably work even if you attached the axle end first, but it might be easier to attach the frame end first and then watch the axle end while you jack the corner up until the holes are aligned. Let us know how it goes.

It doesn't matter which side is attached first. Get someone else to move the steering wheel until the holes line up and bolt it together. Don't bother using a jack under the axle...it works with the tires on the ground.

If you are going to use the jack, don't put it on the AXLE...put it on the BUMPER...I never said put it on the axle. I didn't have tires on mine when the track bar went on but if the tires are on, Jess is right...using the steering wheel will be easier. Everything is always easier with a helper, if you have one!

XJ AV8R said:
If you are going to use the jack, don't put it on the AXLE...put it on the BUMPER...I never said put it on the axle. I didn't have tires on mine when the track bar went on but if the tires are on, Jess is right...using the steering wheel will be easier. Everything is always easier with a helper, if you have one!

Literally everything.
noesjoshers2.gif

Ok new track bar is on and the xj handles well now. I torqued the axle end down to 72 ft pounds, but unfortunately I wasn't able to torque the frame end down to the specified 64 ft pounds because the wrench wouldn't fit. So I just tightened it up tight and installed cotter pin. Could this be a problem?

megabyte5689 said:
Ok new track bar is on and the xj handles well now. I torqued the axle end down to 72 ft pounds, but unfortunately I wasn't able to torque the frame end down to the specified 64 ft pounds because the wrench wouldn't fit. So I just tightened it up tight and installed cotter pin. Could this be a problem?

It shouldn't be. Make sure to check it periodically and make sure it is tight. If it works loose it will make a loud popping noise when you turn.

Back