• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

open diff?

userbmx1315

NAXJA Forum User
open diff am i correect?
05-29-08_1310.jpg

open. your talking about the little square with all the gears inside, thems ur spider gears. thay are what allows the power to go to the wrong tire. hehe.

i'm getting it regearded Wed. i'm installing it friday. what cheap lube should i put in it? untill it gets geared. i'll be driving about 2 hours to the place plus its my DD

juniorXJ said:
open. your talking about the little square with all the gears inside, thems ur spider gears. thay are what allows the power to go to the wrong tire. hehe.
The open carriers have more of a round opening to them:
loaded.jpg

The Track lock, Limited slip, clutch pack carrier has a more squair opening:
Trac-Lok-h.jpg

Looks like a Factory trac-loc carrier.
Use whatever gear oil you have on hand (Synthetic is better as it can handle the heat from the new gears & bearings breaking themselves in better), You are going to be draining it out after 500 miles use.
Just remember to Take it extra easy for the first 200 miles after the regear, Don't speed (Keep it under 50MPH) or pound on the accelerator, After 20minutes or so stop for another 20 to let it cool off (You will be amazed at how hot the diff cover will be).
Then drive nice & easy (Under 60) until you hit the 500 mile mark, Change out the gear oil (Wait until you see all the crap in it) & you will be good to go.
Remember to add whatever friction modifier the factory specifys to the gear oil after the oil change.

garr said:
Looks like a Factory trac-loc carrier.
Use whatever gear oil you have on hand (Synthetic is better as it can handle the heat from the new gears & bearings breaking themselves in better), You are going to be draining it out after 500 miles use.
Just remember to Take it extra easy for the first 200 miles after the regear, Don't speed (Keep it under 50MPH) or pound on the accelerator, After 20minutes or so stop for another 20 to let it cool off (You will be amazed at how hot the diff cover will be).
Then drive nice & easy (Under 60) until you hit the 500 mile mark, Change out the gear oil (Wait until you see all the crap in it) & you will be good to go.
Remember to add whatever friction modifier the factory specifys to the gear oil after the oil change.

x2. hit the nail on the head.

Letterman said:
The open carriers have more of a round opening to them:
loaded.jpg

The Track lock, Limited slip, clutch pack carrier has a more squair opening:
Trac-Lok-h.jpg

oops i was backwords

badron said:
Use the old stuff if your going to drain in a short time.

I would not recommend using the old fluid to break in the new gears, For the break in period use whatever is on sale!
After the breakin period is over fill it with the best stuff you can find. I use Amisol severe gear 75-140.

kind of off-topic, but after a regear and during break-in, because it runs so hot, it would be better to use 75-140 than 80-90 because the 75-140 is thicker, correct? typically i use what i have and what's around, but one of these times i'd like to do it right.

96XJ Country said:
I think he was saying put th old stuff in to get to where hes having it regeared

yea what this guy said. i was told to put 70-80 in it until i regear it. after the guy regears it. it should be good to go right? cause its going to be about 2 hours of driving.

Back