• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

NEEDS A LIFT OR WHAT ??

vista155

NAXJA Forum User
90jeepcherokee004.jpg

welcome!

Step1: turn off caps lock

Step2: figure out what you want to do...light offroading, moderate, or hardcore? Any daily driving? You can go offroading in that right now. Fireroads and some light stuff.

Step3: Research product recommendations by using the search or browsing various threads.

Step4: Dont submit duplicate threads: http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=954840

:)

Welcome to NAXJA...

Josh (DJBlade) put it just right.

But one added note: As far as what you NEED for offroading, you dont NEED anything besides your jeep, a buddy, and a tow strap. Go out and see what a stock jeep can do and once you've learned the limitations of your vehicle worry about modifications. Your rig looks very capable as it sits. Just my 2 cents...

swbooking said:
Welcome to NAXJA...

But one added note: As far as what you NEED for offroading, you dont NEED anything besides your jeep, a buddy, and a tow strap. Go out and see what a stock jeep can do and once you've learned the limitations of your vehicle worry about modifications. Your rig looks very capable as it sits. Just my 2 cents...

Very well put.
When I got my first Jeep I was affraid to take it out stock... I gave in and besides ground clearance I was amazed. Then again who needs a gas tank anyways? haha

swbooking said:
Welcome to NAXJA...

And... recovery points! Stock XJ's can do a lot and with each modification the capabilities improve.

But as others have said: it all depends on what you want to do and where you want to go. "Going offroading" is general and vague enough that it really does not going to get you any specific answer.

Welcome the the board!!

I am running a stock 87 2 dr. It is very capable even as low as it is.

I now know the limits of my rig and am giving it an altitude adjstment when I have the money.....

vista155 said:
TRYING TO GO OFF ROADING DO I NEED A LIFT OR BIGGER COILS SHOKS OR LEAF SPRINGS ???

No.

Get at least a year of off roading under your belt at each build level from stock to wherever you end up.

You'll be a much better driver.

It's going to be about a year until I can get the lift I want for my '87, have some patience, it will pay off.

I have only had mine for a couple months and am still get used to it. I went for a slightly lowered Mazda Pickup to my 4X4 XJ, so my sense of balance is still slightly askue.....

More like, oh Chit, that was a little fast......

well if you are actually looking to do some racing with it the idea would be to keep the COG as low as possible but still have enough clearance to clear the obstacles. if by racing you mean riding some trails with some buddys then i would say wheel it stock until you get comfortable with it

I agree with all of the above. I would like to add that it looks to me like you dont have a stock XJ there. I'd say around 2-3" of lift already on that puppy.

Ray H said:
I agree with all of the above. I would like to add that it looks to me like you dont have a stock XJ there. I'd say around 2-3" of lift already on that puppy.

I see red coils....maybe skyjacker.

Jess said:
I see red coils....maybe skyjacker.
Its either a red spring or red spacer, I cant tell.

EDIT: oh wait, I just noticed the raised flares. I still think its got a little lift but maybe not 3" worth.

Last edited:
I'd wheel it! the tires are gonna rub a lot, but hell, who cares! Have fun with it!

tayman said:
I'd wheel it! the tires are gonna rub a lot, but hell, who cares! Have fun with it!

Thats what I say. I would wheel the hell out of it and see what it can do or until something breaks. Then you know the limitaions and week points and then you start the improvments from there. But thats just me.

I wheeled the crap out of mine stock, more than I get to now! Just put some recovery on it front and rear and some skid plates and sliders and have lots of fun for very little money.

my96xjjf7.jpg

Back