• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Iron Rock Offroad Almost Alloy Kit

Dave41079

NAXJA Forum User
I guess the obvious question would be:

If they need to be welded on, and have sufficient penetration into the surrounding metal for a strong weld, wouldn't that melt the seals or burn the grease out of the u-joint?

Seems kind of "gimmicky" to me.....

I've done that in the past, the trick is to just lay down short beads and let it cool in between welds. It's really kind of a redneck fix, a way to get some life out of shafts that the u-joint cap holes are egged out. There's nothing wrong with it per se, but a new shaft and quality u-joint is a better way to go.

Or you could tack the caps to the ears for free.

close297.jpg

http://www.4x4wire.com/jeep/tech/axle/caps01/

I think the point is to use them before the ears get deformed not afterwards, presumably after replacing the u-joints as well. I bought the package and am looking for a set of spare axles to put them on and swap in. Tacking the caps in would keep the cap from falling out but doesn't strengthen the ear any. It could be a pointless exersize (wouldn't be my first though) so I though I'd give them a shot.

The instructions say to weld each eara in 4 segments letting everything cool for at least 10 minutes between segments. The welding goes on the sides of the ear (2 segments of welding per side of the little plate.)

In test fitting them to my existing axles I found for one of the ears on the driver's side axle the additional plate hits the forward hub mounting bolt to that plate would have to be trimmed a bit.

fwiw.

sjkimmel99 said:
I think the point is to use them before the ears get deformed not afterwards, presumably after replacing the u-joints as well. I bought the package and am looking for a set of spare axles to put them on and swap in. Tacking the caps in would keep the cap from falling out but doesn't strengthen the ear any. It could be a pointless exersize (wouldn't be my first though) so I though I'd give them a shot.

The instructions say to weld each eara in 4 segments letting everything cool for at least 10 minutes between segments. The welding goes on the sides of the ear (2 segments of welding per side of the little plate.)

In test fitting them to my existing axles I found for one of the ears on the driver's side axle the additional plate hits the forward hub mounting bolt to that plate would have to be trimmed a bit.

fwiw.

so what your saying is you spent $30 on 8 peices of 1/8" metal that someone holesawed out, and you're trying to justify it...;)

sjkimmel99 said:

fwiw.

Gravesdiggerxj said:
so what your saying is you spent $30 on 8 peices of 1/8" metal that someone holesawed out, and you're trying to justify it...;)

I bet 2 tack welds inline (one at the axle and one on the far end with the cap) and 2 more tack welds 90 degrees to those would be stronger and cheaper too.

Back