• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

RE Fixed Length LCA question

HawkZero

NAXJA Forum User
I have the RE 4.5" lift with fixed lowers (16.2ish") and adjustable uppers. I am installing RC drop brackets. For this lift, RC reccomends stock length uppers and lowers. Since I have the longer lower, can I just adjust the upper to compensate or will there be other things to compensate for?

I already have run into the sway bar links touching the coils and plan on relocating the sway bar.

Lets think about this for a second...

4.5" lift with stock mounting location = longer arms to keep the axle in the same relationship with the vehicle. [FONT=&quot]i.e.: [/FONT] straight down with out moving forward or backward. If you were to use drop brackets with the longer arms and adjustable uppers, two things are going to happen...

1 - you will loose pinion angle if the adjustable uppers are = to or < stock. Not good...

2 - to keep pinion angle, the uppers will have to be lengthened thus pushing axle forward and out of relationship with the rest of the suspension components. Not good...

You need to relocate the sway bar or remove it completely...

rcmf5525 said:
Lets think about this for a second...

4.5" lift with stock mounting location = longer arms to keep the axle in the same relationship with the vehicle. [FONT=&quot]i.e.: [/FONT] straight down with out moving forward or backward. If you were to use drop brackets with the longer arms and adjustable uppers, two things are going to happen...

1 - you will loose pinion angle if the adjustable uppers are = to or < stock. Not good...

2 - to keep pinion angle, the uppers will have to be lengthened thus pushing axle forward and out of relationship with the rest of the suspension components. Not good...

You need to relocate the sway bar or remove it completely...

Ok...I can make the adjustable uppers longer...no problem...I already planned on moving the sway bar...

What other impacts besides 1 and 2...

I think it is because his lower control arms look like this /...

You are going to need to go with stock length lowers. Sorry if my first reply did not state that clearly. If you use the longer lowers and adjust the uppers to keep pinion angle, your coils will be bent, your sway bar ends will be inside your coils if they are hitting them now, and you might make contact with your drag link or tie rod. Do you have an after market track bar? I think that will be interfered with as well...

justin_502 said:
With that lift do you feel you need the drop brackets? How is it riding without them with the upper and lower control arms
Having added my Drop Brackets after driving around on the 4.5" RE for awhile, I would definitely recommend them. While the ride isn't as bad as an empty 5-ton truck, it certainly is crappy. Since there's a way to resolve it that also helps your flex, why wouldn't you?

Compare the stock mounting angles with the dropped mounting at 4.5" lift:
new_arms.jpg

As far as control arm lengths, you can typically run near-stock length arms at 4.5" with Drop Brackets. See http://www.yuccaman.com/jeep/re_db.html#arms for more.

Jim www.yuccaman.com

rcmf5525 said:
I think it is because his lower control arms look like this /...

You are going to need to go with stock length lowers. Sorry if my first reply did not state that clearly. If you use the longer lowers and adjust the uppers to keep pinion angle, your coils will be bent, your sway bar ends will be inside your coils if they are hitting them now, and you might make contact with your drag link or tie rod. Do you have an after market track bar? I think that will be interfered with as well...

So bottom line up front...trade away the new fixed lowers for adjustable.

Back