• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Trackbar question.

90Blue_XJ

NAXJA Forum User
Just installed my new JKS adjustable trackbar. In doing so I broke the bolt and the captured nut on the axle side and replaced it with a similar sized bolt and a nylock nut. Should this be a grade 8 and someone must know what the exact size is supposed to be. I just used a grade 5 bolt that was in my bolt and nut bucket. Is my junk dangerous now?

yeah, you want it to be the exact size of the hole - if there's any play in it, it will "oval" out the hole in the bracket.

I'd use the strongest bolt you can find, and crank it down pretty good - again, to prevent ovaling out that hole...

JNickel101 said:
yeah, you want it to be the exact size of the hole - if there's any play in it, it will "oval" out the hole in the bracket.

I'd use the strongest bolt you can find, and crank it down pretty good - again, to prevent ovaling out that hole...

Well I did that with my grade 5 bolt. It fits snugly in the hole. Just wondering if it should be a grade 8 and didn't want to dismantle it until I had the new bolt in my hot little hand IYKWIM. So what is the factory size? SAE or Metric? How long and what thread pitch?

15MM head, regular thread (not fine thread) and I am not sure on the length or bolt diameter. So all in all, I am not a lot of help to ya :D

Does anyone know the length and diameter of this bolt? I know it has a 15mm head on it but the length and diameter is what I need at the bolt store before I can ask for the correct replacement bolt.

Come on someone please pull your bolt and measure it. This one I have is way too small and I don't want to oval out the hole with it.

Ah take out the tape measure and or calipers out and measure the hole and the length it needs to be. Do you still have what is left of the old broken bolt. You can measure that too.

magimerlin said:
Ah take out the tape measure and or calipers out and measure the hole and the length it needs to be. Do you still have what is left of the old broken bolt. You can measure that too.[/QUOTE/]

No I have only the captured nut part. I put in a bolt that I had that would hold until it can be replaced but I can't take it out and still drive the Jeep, which is currently my only form of transport. So if someone has a trackbar out that can measure the hole inside diameter I have the length at 75mm and the only thing I need is the shaft diameter of the bolt. I was going to measure the inside diameter of the old trackbar but it is pretty wallowed out. Don't know if wallowed is a proper word or not.LMAO!!!

I don't have one out, but I'm sure if you take the captured nut with you to your local hardware/auto parts store, they can determine the thread pitch and diameter from that. Just drive gently and make sure your temporary bolt is tight a couple times during the trip.

Ok, I have a loose nut for my old track bar. It is 10mm with a thread pitch of 1.5. A bolt that fits it measured .387 with a pair of calipers. I ran a 10mm tap into it, so I'm firm on the size.
Hope this helps

Back