• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

shimmie in steering wheel only on turns

FL. 2001 XJ

NAXJA Forum User
hey every one!
I am new at this forum deal, but I have a shimmie in the steering wheel only on turns and I was just wondering in any one had any ideas?

Slow turns? Fast turns? What year, model, trans, T-case?

Sorry about the lack of info!
I have a 2001 jeep cherokee that I just bought about 3 months ago with 60k completly stock but, for 2in blocks above from coils and add leafs for a joke of a lift! with 265/75 r16 bfg's. last week I noticed that every time I turn left or right or at any speed the steering wheel will shimmie when it re-turns to the straight position. felt like a alignment problem. today I put it on my lift, checked for any loose parts. found play in tie rod ends. replaced inner and outer tie rod ends and joint at pitment arm and set the toe. problem is still there.

does it do it when the vehicles is not moving, or moving at very slow speeds? as in, when parking

Probably a dumb question and a long shot, but are you sure your not in some kind of 4wd causing it to grab? Sometimes you can be stuck in 4wd and the shifter and lights will not indicate it. If you are uncertain then remove the front driveshaft and drive it.

Not a dumb qeustion. I thought of that because thats kind of what it feels like! thats one of the first things I thought of, but I checked the shifter and there was no light on and like you said it was kind of a long shot. I will check that tomorrow at work. I like this jeep because its plain and simple! I will just put on my lift and put in drive. No ESP to stop the wheels!
Quick easy check. Have you ever herd of a wheel bearing causing this? I never seen a wheel bearing be bad with out noise!

Not a dumb qeustion. I thought of that because thats kind of what it feels like! thats one of the first things I thought of, but I checked the shifter and there was no light on and like you said it was kind of a long shot. I will check that tomorrow at work. I like this jeep because its plain and simple! I will just put on my lift and put in drive. No ESP to stop the wheels!
Quick easy check. Have you ever herd of a wheel bearing causing this? I never seen a wheel bearing be bad with out noise!
In my experience bearings always make noise first.

The 4wd thing sounds like a good place to look. I doubt a wheel bearing would cause it, and if you just did your alignment I think you would notice that kind of freeplay in one of your wheels. Besides, as stated a wheel bearing should make a howling noise as it starts to go.

FL. 2001 XJ said:
Have you ever herd of a wheel bearing causing this? I never seen a wheel bearing be bad with out noise!

I would bet money on bad ujoints before bearings.

Worn front u-joints cause that too. Mine did the same thing replaced the u-joints and all better now.
EDIT: Tim was a little quicker :D

97XJ Jeeper said:
Worn front u-joints cause that too. Mine did the same thing replaced the u-joints and all better now.
EDIT: Tim was a little quicker :D

Oh, good point. I totally spaced that.

Mine was more noticeable in colder weather for some reason also.

thank's for everywons advice! You guys on key! I put my jeep on the lift today, put in 4wheel drive. when turning the wheel left or right. the right wheel was binding and actually stopped turning. checked the right u-joint, found joint binding. I am going to install one tomorrow.

Thats what we are here for. Good luck, mine were seized in there pretty good. Had to take them to a machine shop and there presses had a hard time with them.

it's florida jeep and I live on beach! You know what salt water does to vehicles. I hope I can replace them because I checked on the price of the axle with joints $ $ $ $ $ $ $ $ $

Back