• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

How many have done their own shocks?

BBeach

NAXJA Forum User
And how many of you have broken your shocks bolts? Im thinking about doing a budget boost and with it installing some new shocks. Something else I was thinking of was to have sears install them for free....but if they break it im not sure what their remedy would be. I might just pb blast the hell out of it for a week and do it myself. Any thoughts?

I did a full spring lift on my 96. I broke all four of the top shock bolts on the rear. I was able to re-tap three to sae thread. On the last one the nut broke lose from the body. I had to remove the rear seat and carpet, cut a hole in the floor and weld a new nut in place. I patched the hole with a piece of sheet metal using self tapping screws. Try the BP blaster, make sure you spray the threads not just the head of the bolts.

its almost not even worth wasting the penetrating oil on them. I havent done an XJ lift yet where at least 2 of the bolts didnt snap. The easiest way Ive found is to pull up the carpet and drill access holes. I usually either drill out the broken bolts and run a bolt all the way through, the holes drilled under the carpet will let you get a socket on them. Another option is get (or fab) a set of upper mounts and relocate them a little off from where the original bolts are.

I've changed the shocks and lifted a couple of my 5 XJ's and have only snapped one bolt and I blamed that on being in a hurry and using the air ratchet(snapped it going on).

I think a lot of it has to do with how much salt you drive in during winter.

On the rears, have a good plumber's torch for some heat (mapp gas is hotter than propane). When you get them to turn, turn them a bit and go back (re tighten a bit) then turn them some more, go back, etc. Take your time, work the bolts back and forth, use PB blaster (or your own fav), use heat if needed. Don't just crank on them. Don't get in a hurry.

When you re-install the bolts, coat them in anti-seize. Might help for the next time, might not. Couldn't hurt.

x2 on the mapp gas.Heats things up real well.Use a little heat and baby the bolts back and forth.If they start turning out and lock back up turn them back in and reheat.With a little luck they should come out allright

How much of a pain is it to have to cut into the floor anyways? If i was to bring it to sears and have them install it for free :)rtm: ) do you guys think they were fix it properly??

mine came out just fine...PB blaster for 2 weeks and heat, and I have rust problems, give it your best shot before making a shock change into a welding job...

if you do it, you know it will be fixed right. if they do it, who knows.

i say just do it yourself, its not that bad of a job if/when they break.

if they will to it for free let them then the liability is on there shoulders. if they break it they have to fix it, they are a BBB member lol!!!

bigpimpinben said:
if they will to it for free let them then the liability is on there shoulders. if they break it they have to fix it, they are a BBB member lol!!!
I went there today and talked to the manager and he said "they dont break things". I had a good chuckle :laugh: . But hey, if they want to do the shocks then by all means. On a side note, are the front shocks anywhere near as bad as the rears? I'd think the fronts would be easy and save me $40. They've got the Rancho RSX's on sale half off for $45/each so i think its a decent deal. Let me know if you guys have any more ideas.

When I broke 3 of the rear shock mounting bolts I ended up using a hammer and chisel to knock the bolts out and then I used a Permacoil (like a helicoil) to hold the bolts in place. I have driven my jeep about 1000 miles so far and haven't had a problem with the Permacoils coming out.

I snapped 2 of the bolts and just drilled it out and fit my hand in there with a wrench and a nut on it and threaded new bolts into the nuts (on top of the welded nut). It was a tight fit but not too tight.

reelbigdundy87 said:
I snapped 2 of the bolts and just drilled it out and fit my hand in there with a wrench and a nut on it and threaded new bolts into the nuts (on top of the welded nut). It was a tight fit but not too tight.

You must have some thin hands, I could hardly get a finger up there!

Back