• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

How far off ?

shouldn't be off at all because it shouldn't be moving.:skull1:
That aside, I would expect 10-12 if you had to drive it to get the new gears installed.

its going to be off by a percentage. i had 31's with 3.07s and it was off by about 10%. best ways are 1. GPS, buy one or have a friend with one ride along with you. or 2. drive down the highway and go, for example 10 miles. reset your trip meeter at a mile marker and see how far from agreement with the mile markers it is after 10 miles. this will give you your rough percentage of how far off it is. btw, how do you pull out with a manual and 35s? my flywheel was getting hot spots with 31's and 3.07s if i pulled out on hills too often.

I have a 98 XJ with 3.55 gears stock running 33's. I had my wife drive behind me and at 70 MPH my speedo said 59.

Man was that thing a dog on any type of incline. You must start going backwards.

I went to 4.10 gears then checked with a GPS, and my speed is corrected now. Try different tooth gears.

Good luck

My 98 xj was off by more than 20 mph before I got the right speedo gear

1sickhick said:
Your going to brake stuff with that set up.I broke s@#t with 33" 3.07's.Get a G.P.S. and check your speed.My guess 10mph.

I wouldn't fault the gears for breakin parts.

Del00XJ said:
Hell if i know. Must be a dog though.
Thats what I thought, but it supprised the hell outa me. I can feel a slight change in acc. but not much. It wheels great too. I'm not going to change gears until I lock the thing. If its not broke dont fix it.

figured it out.. Going from orginal 28's to bfg mt 35's is as follows

speedo reading... actual speed
30... 37.5

35... 44

40... 50

45... 56

50... 62.5

55... 69

60... 75

That should be some help to others, with the same problem.

Stock tire is 28", New tire is 35"

35/28 = 1.25

Multiply your shown MPH by 1.25 and that is your true speed. Same speeds as sixditch shows.

Back