• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Need help diagnosing possible transmission problem

djohnsn

NAXJA Forum User
I need some ideas on what I can check before I give up and take it to a shop. It is a 98 XJ, AW4, NP231. The problem is: I can't get it to move when the trans is in 3 or OD. It feels like I have my foot on the brake. I can drive it if I start out in 1 and manually shift to 3. Fluid level is ok. Has anyone else had a problem similar to this?

My guess is that you either have a bad solenoid in the tranny, or your TCU is bad...do a search on AW4*, or TCU*...you will find many threads that explain how to do a resistance test on the solenoids, etc...
be sure to use the "*" as the search engine will not search and find anything using 3 letters only

I have had this happen when I forded a deep water crossing I was stuck in 2nd or 3rd gear and The jeep would barely move. I turned it off, went from Park to 1-2 back and forth several times and when I restarted it was fine. Which makes me think that my solenoids were wet, and that means Mcque is probably correct.

I had to replace one on my AW4 recently. The resistance test works great. I still have two solenoids out the dead AW4 and both test good. Drop me a line if you need one.

Back