• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Bought Junk Jeep Need advice

stephenspann27

NAXJA Forum User
I bought a '89 XJ 4x4 auto that has a bad motor. The motor was out when I bought it and is missing the head, and exhuast manifold. The pistons have some scoring and so do the cylinders. After pricing rebuild kits I think it would be cheaper to buy a new motor.. considering I would need a head and manifold (or header) on top of the rebuild kit. So after a little research it looks like the only motors that could be a direct replacmetn would be '87-'90. If I were to put in a new 4.0 I would need the entire motor, ECM, and harness right? Or.. should I just part the thing out and buy a complete Jeep? I paid $400 for it.

Keep the Jeep for parts and buy another one. I'm sure you'll get 400 bucks worth of parts out of it to use on one with a good motor. My 2 cents

It all depends if you really want to keep it. Some factors are mileage, etc. Ill tell you that I had my bad motor replaced with a boneyard motor and all in all it ran me about $1100 total. I havent had any major problems since. Its really your call, but if the rig's nice enough or it has really low miles, go for the motor change. I found my motor for $500 complete.

Don't be bashful about looking at wrecked jeeps for the engine. Chances are they were running great before they bit the biggie. I'd probably pass on a rollover.

I keep finding conflicting information about the putting a HO long block in a Renix. Will the Renix intake bolt to the HO head? I've search and read about this.. and some ppl say it will, others say it wont.

You could buy a running XJ for as much as a junkyard engine would cost ya. I'd buy a second rig and keep that one around for a little while for parts just in case. Honestly, there's not too many good parts on the 87-90. 4.0 is non running renix, front axle is disco, transfer case is 21 spline I believe (unsure of the AW4 being 21 or 23). rear end is probably a d35. Not many desirable parts.

The interior is really rough.. I had to pull all of the carpet out of it.. and there was a sizable hole in the floor pan beneath the rear seat... the body isn't that great either.. I know I'm going to sound like a newb, but what does the front axle being disco mean?

I was given a running 88 wagoneer, It was an ex plow rig and needed eveything, I took a few parts and had it hauled away it was so bad. Was supposed to be a suprise project for my dad. Well another will come along, sounds like you should cut your lossed, can't hurt to grab some parts

is there rust? what does the body look like?

I'll get some pictures posted up in a few hours. The only rust I know of is in the floor pan. The tires are like new (although they are road tires). I was thinking 400+$300 for a motor $700 total investment wouldn't be too bad. I'll find the pictures.

Seriously, you are in for one hell of a headache. Just pick up another one.

stephenspann27 said:
I don't understand why replacing a motor is such a big deal.. especially when one can be had for $300. I've put motors in before.. it's not that hard.

My advice is to not waste your time on an old rusted motorless shell. BUT, that's me considering how much MY time is worth to ME. I have no idea how much yours is worth to you. If you (hypothetically) make minimum wage and you can swap motors easily, then go for it. Otherwise spend your money on something worth YOUR time.

I have little "spare" time to wrench, so when I wrench I like to do it on things more gratifying than "junk" (- your word)... like modifications that are coincident with my hobbies.

YMMV

I would look for anothe XJ in that year range and get one with a running engine and keep the other for parts or sell the good parts as peeps need them. Just my .02

law.74 said:
My advice is to not waste your time on an old rusted motorless shell. BUT, that's me considering how much MY time is worth to ME. I have no idea how much yours is worth to you. If you (hypothetically) make minimum wage and you can swap motors easily, then go for it. Otherwise spend your money on something worth YOUR time.

I have little "spare" time to wrench, so when I wrench I like to do it on things more gratifying than "junk" (- your word)... like modifications that are coincident with my hobbies.

YMMV

:yelclap: Exactly!

Back