• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

94 XJ Loud noise, won't move under power

BillBraski

NAXJA Forum User
So, my 94 XJ 4.0 won't move when put in gear, transmission does not engage. I just did a RMS on it right before it happened. I had to loosen all the main bearing bolts to get the upper seal out (I torqued them down in 3 stages to 80 pounds with a macs tool torque wrench that was calibrated a week ago, so I know its not the issue. The main bearings looked really good, only light wear for 200,000 miles) When I was driving over a hard-packed snow road, I started hearing a loud knock that got worse as engine RPM's got under 3,000. I kept driving untill I smelled a odor. I stopped and looked under the hood and the smoke was coming from the torque converter area. It was a very strong smell. So I called a friend wo pick me up.

Came back a few hours later and the smell was still there. So I started it to move it to a gas station and all of the sudden, after moving 10 or 15 feet, it made a really loud scraping noise and would not move under its power in drive (I have a 92 XJ 4.0 with a cracked flexplate, but not like this) The motor runs great, 30 PSI at idle, 210 operating temp, great compression, no more rear seal leak. New ballancer, timing chain, front cover, and front crankshaft seal. No issues with engine, its runs like a top.

Is it the converter, or flexplate? Did removing the mains move the flexplate a little and make it break? What do you guys think?

BillBraski said:
Did removing the mains move the flexplate a little and make it break? What do you guys think?

it depends how loose you made them and how much you moved the craankshaft.. its more likely the flex plate of the T/C bolts.. since you didnt service the trans its not likely the T/C went bad.

pull the inspection cover and see what falls out..

sidriptide said:
it depends how loose you made them and how much you moved the craankshaft.. its more likely the flex plate of the T/C bolts.. since you didnt service the trans its not likely the T/C went bad.

pull the inspection cover and see what falls out..
Yeah, I know its not the trans. I'm gonna throw it on a lift Friday, hopefully its just the bolts. I think its gonna be more though. I forgot to say in first post, it starts, so the flexplate is on the crank.

Back