• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

backup lights

waserwolf

NAXJA Forum User
looking to install some backup lights, would like some advice/pics if possible, don't want to install them under the bumper as i'm sure they will get smashed, maybe cut them into the bumper, should i go with round or rectangle and why. Thanks for the input.

i picked up a set of ovalish ones from walmart for like $20. but there mounted under the bumper, which was a bad idea of course. the lights wasnt bright as i wanted tho. thats all me advise/ input

Do you have a truck stop around you? If you do, check out the dock lights or are they called docking lights..... They look like the ones you see on the bigger motorhomes.. Do a search on here for them, i seen a write up on them

i put mine under my bumper in front of the hitch, pretty well portected... just make sure you get a fog pattern

i put up a light on my rear swing-away and love it.
But, if I still had the stock bumper, I'd do the roof. I'm guessing/hoping you know how to run wires. I like how lights fit near the reciever, but I know that they'd get ripped out the way I wheel, even lifted. I know stock that they'd be a problem.

IMG_0170_edited.jpg

But, once all is said and done. . . it makes backing up easy.
How are you gonna wire it? Seperate switch or have them come on only in reverse?
There are back up lighting kits, but doing all the work by yourself is just as simple.

I got my low profile rectangular lights from AZ, they were clearanced for $6 for some reason...they are cheap Blazers, but they work great. I have them mounted below my bumper, but they only come down about 1-1.25 inches and are protected by a hitch. I took the easy way out and wired them to the existing backup lights...not optimum, but they work well.

i put mine on the tire swing as well. And did not hook it into the back uplights. My stock lights dont come on all the time or come on late, so i wanted mine switched.

Rear of the rack. West Marine brand spreader deck lights, very bright. I have mine on 2 switches in the back (too lazy to run up front), one turns them on, the second when thrown allows them to activate when the factory reverse lights go on. I have the 4RealSteel roof rack, its ok, the light tabs are nice.

Joshua said:
GoJeep, your reverse lights are the best ever. I'm going to copy your design. Can we still be friends?

Hey mate, I only built the site in the hope to help others do the same. ;)

I have mine under the bumper,no problem so far...placed the relay inside the bumper with a plastic bag to protect it from dirt..runned one cable directly from the battery positive all the way to the rear to a fuseholder then into the relay and pulled a cable from the oem light to use as - into the relay,the screw used to mount the new light in the bumper served as ground...that way auxiliary light and oem backup lights turn on at the same time,it makes a lot of difference,spacially if you have tinted windows like i do...

Another idea to get them well out of the way would be to get grommet-mount lamps, and recess them into the liftgate. The fibreglas would be easier to cut with a Dremel and a spiral bit, while you'd have some leeway with the later steel gate to do a little metalforming and aim the lamps lower.

I will second going with a wide dispersion pattern (a fog or flood pattern) for this. If you need a good deal of light, get PAR34 work floodlamps - they work quite well.

http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=964783&highlight=reverse+lights

Theres a thread I made awhile ago...I have pics and such I can throw at you if you wana revive it. But as you can see, I put my harbor freight ($8) reverse lights in the bumper and put a switch ($5) in the cab to turn them on whenever I want. (great for when someone is riding your butt at night! :))

~Scott

Back