• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Ball Joint ???'s

rmm727

NAXJA Forum User
Did some cherokees come with adjustable ball joints from the factory? Reason I ask is I need to replace the upper and lower ball joint on one side and one of the local parts stores only sells adjustable uppers. The other store in town sells non adjustable uppers. I just wanna be sure I get the right parts before I tear it appart. If it matters, my rig is a '00 4.0l AW4 NP231 8.25 3' lift 30x9.50-15's 4.56 gears.

Adjustable ball joints?

or do you mean servicable/greasable? The ones with the zerk fitting. . .

I think all the ones from the factory were non-servicable. But it doesn't matter, although the zerk fitting on your bottom balljoint may interfere with the axle u-joint. You can solve this by greasing it up, and putting in a "plug". Uppers should be fine, greasable or not.

The only reason you'd need an adjustable ball joint would be if you had a camber problem. they can be adjusted up to a couple degrees to compensate. But with a solid front axle, you shouldn't have to worry about camber too much.

you can adjust the caster with the adjustable ball joints too.

Unless you have camber or caster issues, stick with the non-adjustable as they are a little stronger.

Kyle Horvath said:
by the way, how's the 4.56/30" tire combo? Is that your DD?

It burns tire quite nicely. I figured I would just skip 4.10's for when I eventually make it up to 32's 33's.

Prepmech said:
you can adjust the caster with the adjustable ball joints too.

Unless you have camber or caster issues, stick with the non-adjustable as they are a little stronger.

I figured that I didn't need them but it made me wonder when the one parts store didn't sell a nonadjustable one. Thanks for your help.

Kyle Horvath said:
by the way, how's the 4.56/30" tire combo? Is that your DD?

Exactly my first question!! You are the opposite of me, going with 33's and stock gearing! I think I'd rather have your combo, not that I have any problems but sounds good, get ready for the 35's!

rmm727 said:
I figured that I didn't need them but it made me wonder when the one parts store didn't sell a nonadjustable one. Thanks for your help.

I'd find another source-- nonadjustable was factory and should be available from any decent parts house.

I'd find another source-- nonadjustable was factory and should be available from any decent parts house
Most definitely.

And sorry about the erroneous info on the zerks. But if you get the greasable ones, make sure they don't hit the U-joint.

Hope you're not going through too many tires. I ran stockers for a day with my 4.56. Yee haw! Sticking with the 33's now.

Back