• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

thinking of lift and need advice

victor_s

NAXJA Forum User
Alright so i have an 89 XJ with stock suspension now.
I'm thinking of a 4.5'' lift. Now the parts i have come up with are,
front springs, front lower control arms, transfer case drop, front track bar drop bracket, swaybar links, brake line relocating brackets, heckethorn shocks, more leafs for the rear and shackles. Is there anything else i'd be needing for a smooth ride? Will a SYE be needed?

I have an '88 and no SYE needed, but I did drop the t-case 1 inch and had degree shims for the rear axle (goes on springplates). At 4.5" of lift, I'd forget the brake-line extensions, just unbolt the metal line and bend it down, there is plenty length there. I've run my Jeep hard for a year just like that, no issues.

Sounds like you are off to a pretty good start!! What brand are you thinking of going with?

not sure yet im still shopping around i wanna find the cheapest yet still durable kit, you know something not pricey but not crap either

I've heard that before. Rusty's is cheapest yet not the best quality, RE is expensive but still better quality, TNT is quite expensive but great quality.

You get what you pay for.

Personlly, I run Rusty's stuff and have no problem with it. Never had anything break on me. I don't run his trac bar any more tho. Just upgraded.

I run Rusty's stuff. Most on here don't like it, they are of the opinion that if it isn't RE or something custom by Deaver that it isn't worth shaking your wallet at, but my kit has done me well, has lots of flex and only settled a small bit after a year of hard trails, jumps and road drving it.

It's midline stuff, it will be noisy after a bit and the rear springs ride like a skateboard, but hey, I paid 1/2 the price the guys I'm RUNNING WITH did ;).

if youre trying to keep it cheap hit the junkyards for a bastard pack, maybe throw in more xj leaves and a add a leaf...and some mj shackles,
wait till you find a lifted xj with coils at the pic n pull and grab those and throw in some spacers if youre trying to keep it cheap. if you have cash buy a full kit online and go from there. youll learn alot either way and go even further from there. buy lcas for sure. bump stop it, pull the rear sways, use the mounts as bpe on the rear shocks. i have an 89 on 3.5" and 33's 3.55's for now, its decent. i have vibes at 65mph but its alright.... posilok'd front with a lockrite, swapping in a open 44 rear

Lose the trackbar relocation bracket and get a good trackbar/bracket(RE,TNT,Kevins).

Considering you have an '89...I would go with new spring packs instead of add-a-leaf's/bastard packs. That would be for optimal results anyways.

victor_s said:
I'm scared ill have problems with the driveshaft with a 4.5 lift

its hit or miss...you have less of a chance since you have an older model...

SYE is the fail safe way to go - which rear axle, TC and tranny do you have?

If you have the AW4, you can get an SYE for around $200 (maybe less, I forget what the PORC SYE costs) - as long as you have the 231 TC - and use a front shaft from an 89-01 auto XJ as your "new" rear driveshaft.

if you have a 242, your only option is hack n tap

from what i have researched, there is a longer slip yoke you can use with the 242. its not a SYE/hack n tap, but it would help from loosing the fluid. and as mentioned, lowering the transfer will help aswell.

I run the Rusty's 3" full leaf pack kit in the heavy-duty flavour. It's the same price to get the HD kit vs. the standard kit, so why not? Gives more lift with the HD kit since it is supposed to compensate for heavy bumpers or loads, etc...ride isn't harsh either!

Running their standard shocks and steering stabilizer as well.

Has done me well since August! I plan to add a coil spacer and lift shackles for another 2" within the year.

Back