• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

AW4 PROBLEM

C85D4x4

NAXJA Member #1311
C85D4x4 said:
I got 96 not too long ago with 145,000 on it

The fluid still was nice and Red.....but i felt a little slipping in 4low......

So I asked 5-90 what to do.......
He Suggested to use Berryman B-12 "Chemtool"

So after having it in the tranny a few days I changed the filter and put in fresh Dexron III in

Ever since....it takes longer time to shift in 2-HI
(mostly shifting from 1st to 2nd)

And In 4-LOW.......the engine just revs up for a second, and then it seems the jeep just thrust forward, and then slips some, and jump forward again

I Wish I just left the damn thing alone.............

Any useful suggestions guys...............

This was what I stated In my last thread

But I now Had a 4x4 shop look at it........
The guy himself does not know much about transmissions........but he did point out what’s it doing

My AW4 is acting like it has a "Stall Converter" when its in 4-low

B4 the trans fluid change 4-low would throw me into the back of my seat with my 32's and 4.56 gears
Now in 4-low I put my foot to the floor, it will slowly crawl forward......and the engine will hit and red line (rev limiter) for a second......THEN it will seem to take off.........then shift quickly 2 times

SO.......it only seems that 1st gear is slipping......until it shifts into 2nd gear then quickly 3rd and 4th

BUT the strange thing is that it does not do this in 2-HI.........

When driving in 2-HI, I’m the only one (b/c I drive it the most) that can tell there is a difference now than b4.........To me the shifts are longer and not as hard.....especially from 1st to 2nd

Before I was almost able to Idle through obstacles when off-roading
Now I have to give it more gas/ RPM to get through things

Thanks guys for anyhelp you can offer

Last edited:
So there was a problem before you put jungle juice in it. Well, I for one wouldn't put anything but tranny fluid in a tranny. Perhaps the fluid you added stayed in when you did the tranny fluid change. You must reember that there is still some left in the cooling system. There could be something intermittent, small particle of dirt building sludge blocking a passage therefore messing with your shifting. Or perhaps it could be your speed senso as you said it is fine in 2HI.

Check the speedo first. Good luck

Xj'sR'Creamy said:
So there was a problem before you put jungle juice in it. Well, I for one wouldn't put anything but tranny fluid in a tranny. Perhaps the fluid you added stayed in when you did the tranny fluid change. You must reember that there is still some left in the cooling system. There could be something intermittent, small particle of dirt building sludge blocking a passage therefore messing with your shifting. Or perhaps it could be your speed senso as you said it is fine in 2HI.

Check the speedo first. Good luck

Iv done 3 fluid changes already with Dextron III
In the 96 the Speedo is Mechanical........and from what i know, it does not Interact with the computer at all

And thats what I was thinking about sludge or partical blocking somthing.....but I dont know what to do to fix it if there was

That's very strange. So it's perfectly fine in 4hi and 2??

Have you changed the Tcase fluid lately?? Maybe you're not getting full engagement in 4lo??? Even just adjust the linkage.

I can't think of any logical explanation for the tranny working fine in 4hi but not 4lo....

I'm not too sure about the speedo not having anything to do with the computer, as the computer reads that signal to determine shift points.

That's what comes to mind for me - but if 4WD were slipping, you'd get it in 4HI and 4LO, no?

And yes, when you use a solvent, you end up leaving about half of it in (the AW4 is an 8-quart box, but you only change four when you do a service change. The rest is - mostly - in the torque converter. I've never had any trouble using B-12 to flush out a transmission. Not in the last 15 years or so, anyhow...)

If there's an incipient problem, I would think it could be magnified by the gear reduction in 4LO, but that would also bring the problem to the surface rather more quickly. This is and odd one. I'll agree with mjma for the moment - make sure your transfer case linkage hasn't slipped or doesn't want adjusting. I'll keep this kicking around in the back of my mind tho - I knew there was a reason I really didn't like automatics...

The t-case was from my 93 and got new fluid when I swaped it....and the linkage seems fine

And being that it just happend after the fluid change is what is making me think its not the t-case

Could it be my t-converter?

You say when you pull out in low,it will slowly get up to speed.I dont think the issue is the tranny slipping,it sounds like it is pulling out with the torque converter locked,and it should'nt be.Then when it takes off,the torque is unlocking.Try unpluging the tranny computer and shift it manualy,and see what it does.

frank36 said:
You say when you pull out in low,it will slowly get up to speed.I dont think the issue is the tranny slipping,it sounds like it is pulling out with the torque converter locked,and it should'nt be.Then when it takes off,the torque is unlocking.Try unpluging the tranny computer and shift it manualy,and see what it does.

Now thats interesting...............

I dont think the computer would go bad when I changed the fluid ...............But I haven't unplugged my batt since...............maybe its getting some strange signals........................when i get home this weekend I try unplugging the batt and see if it re-sets my computer

On the last note of pulling the batt to reset computer. Perhaps all you need to do is unplug some connections, clean em up and put em back together?

O.k,I have a theroy about this.I still think it is torq locking,and Ithink it may have to do with fluid pressure.I may not be right about this,but I think the torq locking and unlocking is controled partly by pressure(along with other variose sensor inputs)You say that it only does it in 4-lo,well mabey its because in 4lo everything can spin up faster and build too much pressure too quick.And you have noticed the shift points have changed,witch would go back to the pressure issue.Mabey by putting the cleaner in it,some gunk got into a passage or a bypass in the valve body messing up the pressure.

frank36 said:
O.k,I have a theroy about this.I still think it is torq locking,and Ithink it may have to do with fluid pressure.I may not be right about this,but I think the torq locking and unlocking is controled partly by pressure(along with other variose sensor inputs)You say that it only does it in 4-lo,well mabey its because in 4lo everything can spin up faster and build too much pressure too quick.And you have noticed the shift points have changed,witch would go back to the pressure issue.Mabey by putting the cleaner in it,some gunk got into a passage or a bypass in the valve body messing up the pressure.

And how would one go about fixing this?

I second the recommendation to pull the fuse or connector for the trans computer. You should get 4th gear in (D), 3rd in (3), and 1st in (1-2) and no t/c lockup. If that fixes the problem, it's probably a bad shift solenoid or a plugged valve body.

lawsoncl said:
I second the recommendation to pull the fuse or connector for the trans computer. You should get 4th gear in (D), 3rd in (3), and 1st in (1-2) and no t/c lockup. If that fixes the problem, it's probably a bad shift solenoid or a plugged valve body.

but if it was a solenoid or valve........wouldnt the problem still happen in 2-hi

Back